type question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/type question

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm a bit messing around with the demoversion, to be a bit more prepared for the eventual purchase with the GUI module :P

I want this:
Type tType
	Field a,b,c
	Method Blah()
		Notify "byebye w0rld "+a+" "+b+" "+c
	End Method
End Type

test=Create()

test.a=1
test.b=2
test.c=3
test.Blah()

End

Function Create:tType()
	Return New tType
End Function

But.. it doesn't work.. :/
So, yes: I want functions to assign a type to a variable. How can I make this work?

Note that according to the compiler the actual test=Create() doesn't give errors.. I just can't use members.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
I don't have Bmax here at the moment, but try doing:
test:tType = Create()

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#3]
hm.. that works.. but it spoils the fun a bit.. I was hoping this to be possible *without* the user knowing about types (except for the idea of member-access).

So, in short: to make it a bit more analogue to how classic/B+ works, bla=CreateImage, bla=CreateWindow, bla=CreateBank etc.
That's more compact than bla:tImage=CreateImage, bla:tWindow=CreateWindow etc. etc.

Kev(Posted 2005) [#4]
CS_TBL or like this

Type tType
	Field a,b,c
	Method Blah()
		Notify "byebye w0rld "+a+" "+b+" "+c
	End Method

Function Create:tType()
		Local new_type:tType = New tType
		Return new_type
	End Function

End Type

test:tType = tType.Create()

test.a=1
test.b=2
test.c=3
test.Blah()

End

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#5]
Too complex for what my intentions were :D , my intention was purely the analogy to old blitz/B+.

While we're on it.. imagine I've 2 type definitions, called TypeA and TypeB, both completely different.

what happens when I do this:

bla:TypeA=new TypeB

?

kyoryu(Posted 2005) [#6]
It doesn't work.

I'm not sure what you can do as far as declaring typeless variables (as it's something I don't do), but another possible solution is to create an abstract base type and then derive everything from that, and only use variables of the base type. Then you can assign it to objects of any subtype you want.

Of course, you'll have to rely on either methods derived from the base class, or casting the object anytime you want to do anything with it.