Access to function with the same name as method

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Access to function with the same name as method

Wayward(Posted 2005) [#1]
I want to call a global function from within a method, but the method's type already has another method with the same name as the global function. How do I specify that I'm referring to the global function instead of the method? In C++ I'd use ::FunctionName make it clear I meant the global namespace. What's the equivalent syntax in BlitzMax?

Function SetPosition (x, y)
	'...
EndFunction

Type Color

Method SetPosition (x, y)
		'...
	EndMethod

Method Update ()
		SetPosition (x, y)
	EndMethod

EndType
In the example code, 'SetPosition' in the Update method will call the types method of that name. How do I get to the global function outside the type?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#2]
If it's in a module, I believe you can use the module as a prefix, e.g. brl.stream.readstring calls readstring function in the brl.stream module. No idea in terms of code in your main app though...

Wayward(Posted 2005) [#3]
As it happens, the function was in a module, so your tip did the trick. Thanks for that.

I'd still be interested in knowing how to do C++'s ::identifier to refer to the global namespace, as per my original example.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'd guess that there might be some kind of global __blitzapp "application namespace" that one could call? But I don't fancy trying a zillion different ones to discover there isn't one...

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#5]
As far as I know, this is handled automatically by BMax.
Global Functions will always called prior Methods, to force the method, you can simply use the 'self' keyword.

Example:
	'...
EndFunction

Type Color

'...
	EndMethod

Method Update ()
		SetPosition (x, y) ' will call the Global Function
self.SetPosition(x, y) ' will call the Method of the Object

EndMethod

EndType

Koriolis(Posted 2005) [#6]
-

Koriolis(Posted 2005) [#7]
This is not true, try your own sample:
Framework brl.basic
Import brl.standardio

Print "global : " + x + "," + y
EndFunction

Type Color

Print "class : " + x + "," + y
	EndMethod

Method Update ()
		SetPosition (1, 2)
	EndMethod

EndType

Local c:Color = New Color
c.Update()
And this is fortunate because if globals were called prior to methods, this would somewhat break encapsulation. Once written, a class should be netirely self-contained and not have its behavior modify by some other piece of code you may add to your source file elsewhere. If globals were called prior to methods, and at some point you add a function like SetPosition that wasn't there before, then you have borken your class behaviour.

Wayward, I was wondering the same as you, and figured I could try to simply prepend a dot (".SetPosition(1,2)") and it actually worked (called the global version). Nice isn't it :) ?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#8]
...then you have borken your class behaviour.

And you really don't want your code to get borked.

Koriolis(Posted 2005) [#9]
Surely not. But I'd really like not to be so close to a dislexic guy.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#10]
No idea in terms of code in your main app though...
Use the Type name. If your function is called doSomething() and it's part of MyType, then MyType.doSomething() will call the static reference.

Wayward(Posted 2005) [#11]
Wayward, I was wondering the same as you, and figured I could try to simply prepend a dot (".SetPosition(1,2)") and it actually worked (called the global version). Nice isn't it :) ?

That's what I was after; prepending a dot does it.

I'd actually tried this exact syntax before posting, but it appeared not to work. I tried it again and now it does. It failed for me the first time because I had multiple functions calls and I hadn't dotted them all (duh!).

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#12]
Use the Type name. If your function is called doSomething() and it's part of MyType, then MyType.doSomething() will call the static reference.

Obviously. But that's not what they were after. From the post above, it looks like a simple . modifier (no prefix) allows you to access global functions that aren't inside a type.