"Synching Mods?"

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/"Synching Mods?"

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am VERY close to buying BMax now that it has DX support. However, I have a question.

Is it a necessity to synch mods? Aren't all the updates contained in the actual program updates?

I ask because my development machine does not have net access and I would not be able to synchronize the mods.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#2]
Also are there any compiled examples to try that use DX (since the trial version only has GL)?

EOF(Posted 2005) [#3]
Is it a necessity to synch mods? Aren't all the updates contained in the actual program updates?

Here's Marks word on the subject ...

------------------------------------------------------
There's been a fair bit of demand for this, so we may start including modules in future core releases.

However, if you want the latest fixes as they happen, I can't really think of an alternative.

Syncmods was designed largely to make it as stupidly easy as possible for us lazy developers to upload fixes as soon as they happen - ie: no zipping or ftping or whatever required.
------------------------------------------------------

Also are there any compiled examples to try that use DX
A simple windowed shooter to play about with -> Pocket Invaders

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#4]
Also are there any compiled examples to try that use DX (since the trial version only has GL)?

Go to my site (link in sig) where you will find two freeware games (Worm and Max Invaders) that use DirectX (default) and OpenGL. ZIP versions are on the Downloads page if you don't want to use the installer versions.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks guys. You two convinced me and are responsible for me buying BMax a few minutes ago. I also bought IGlass.

DX performance was disappointing and very "jittery". However, Max Invaders run under OGL was awesome even on my low end systems.

I guess for the "mods" issue, I can keep an install of BMax on my net system and use it for updating and just copy that to my dev system.

Thanks again guys!!

JazzieB: SOS has the best site design I have seen in a long time ;c)

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yeah, I'm not totally happy with DX performance compared to OGL, but it's something of a necessity on a Windows system. OGL generally runs 3x faster than DX on my system.

Also, thanks for the compliment on my site design.