Default driver for Max2d

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Default driver for Max2d

pangyan(Posted 2005) [#1]
What is the default driver for Max2D? Is it Direct3D or OpenGl? If it is openGL, how do I make it use the direct3D driver?

Alden(Posted 2005) [#2]
I am not sure which one is the default one (I'd guess ogl), but you can explicitly set graphics driver by calling
 SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()
for openGL, or
 SetGraphicsDriver D3D7Max2DDriver()
for directX.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2005) [#3]
It's currently DirectX.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#4]
And mac/linux use opengl.

RktMan(Posted 2005) [#5]
i thought it "defaulted" for each platform.

on win32, directx.

on mac/linux ... opengl.

right ?

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#6]
i thought it "defaulted" for each platform.

on win32, directx.

on mac/linux ... opengl.

right ?
That's correct.

pangyan(Posted 2005) [#7]
Perfect. That's what I need. I'd rather use DirectX on Windows and of course OpenGL is the best (perhaps only?) option on Mac/Linux.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well I recommend allowing both on Windows, as there are quite a few machines that won't do DirectX (or will do it poorly) but will do OpenGL just fine.

I know of at least two out of seven laptops that won't do DirectX. At all. Neither will almost all high-end workstations. Or servers.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#9]
There is improved DX compatability testing in next release so that Windows machines that don't have hardware accelerated DX7 present will return a Null D3D7GraphicsDevice.

Flameduck, there still may be some issues with machines using systemmemory for textures that could have affected your testing sofar also.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#10]
Hi flameduck, yeah I can name at least a thousand laptops that won't do it - any old crippleware one that can't run anything really.

Of course any laptop you buy these days will run everything max can do.

Great stuff skid! can you confirm that there will be a check for openGL or shall I use the code we already went through on the other thread?

Good work though, appreciate it.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#11]
fish: Nope they won't as long as Intel Extreme and strange S3 are still built into anything that is named PC :)