How do I install the BMax Linux version?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/How do I install the BMax Linux version?

Sveinung(Posted 2005) [#1]
What do I need to install to make BMax run?
If someone have a list, please let me know what to install.
(All the dependence's are making me crazy!)

Regards
Sveinung

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#2]
It's going to depend on your specific distro for now, but this is the thread I keep pointing people to, as it lists my own experience in getting Max installed under (Ubuntu) Linux...

Sveinung(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thank You!!!!

Sveinung

Retro(Posted 2005) [#4]
If I install the PPC distro of Ubuntu Linux on my Mac (dual-boot with OS X), will I be able to download and run a native Linux version of Blitz Max on this?

Or, is only an x86 Linux version available (which I would have to emulate)?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#5]
x86 only I believe

Retro(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks for responding, Mark Tiffany, but what I really meant to ask was: "Is a PPC Linux version of Blitz Max ever going to be available, and if so, when?"
Also, I think I inadvertently posted it in the wrong forum because I have since found a virtually identical question, posted several months earlier, under 'Miscellaneous Forums/Linux Discussion/PPC Linux'. After some discussion by various posters, all I finally got out of that particular thread was
"nobody knows." So, how does one go about getting an official response from somebody in Blitz Support?

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#7]
didn't Mark say something about releasing the BMK source at some point?
If this is the case, then you'd have the possibility to recompile/tweak BlitzMax for PPC Linux...
This is just a thought though, and I'm not sure if it's entirable possible (even if Mark releases the source).

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#8]
"Is a PPC Linux version of Blitz Max ever going to be available, and if so, when?"
Don't quote me on this, but I reckon about the same time it gets x86 MacOS binaries.

If this is the case, then you'd have the possibility to recompile/tweak BlitzMax for PPC Linux...
I'd wager a guess it's more a case of lacking functionality on behalf of bcc, than bmk.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'd wager a guess it's more a case of lacking functionality on behalf of bcc, than bmk.

Exactly. While mark has said that the source to BMK will be released, I doubt the source to BCC will be released any time soon, if ever.

(For those confused as to the difference, in as simple a form as I can manage: BCC does the actual grunt work of compiling the source code to the required platform, BMK just pulls the files together and links them together with any static libraries).

Retro(Posted 2005) [#10]
Understood, but I wouldn't have thought it necessary to release the BCC source code for any end-user tweaking.
As I understand it, BCC just outputs assembly language source code, which is then assembled by AS.

Given that BRL already has a working x86 Linux version of Blitz Max, surely all that's required is to recompile the IDE, BMK and BCC under PPC Linux.
Or am I missing something? What other "lacking functionality" would be required?