What is the target audience?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/What is the target audience?

Gillissie(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello everyone. I'm a hardcore B3D user, and was really excited to see all of the great new features in BMax, such as inheritance and polymorphism, better linked list and collection support. However, I'm somewhat baffled that the language doesn't have easy, native 3D graphics commands like B3D. Before BMax came out, I was under that impression that it would be everything that B3D was, and more, but it would use OpenGL for 3D instead of DirectX (for cross platform compatibility). I know that OpenGL is available for use in BMax, but it isn't the easy command syntax that makes Blitz so great. Am I missing something?

Does anybody know if there are any plans to upgrade Blitz3D (since it is still the "flagship" product) with all of the language enhancements of BMax, except still using DirectX? I would REALLY love to use the new language features of BMax, but don't want to have to learn any low-end stuff like OpenGL.

Although the power of BMax is awesome (with the module-based approach), it is a half-step away from developing games in native C++. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I thought the target audience of the Blitz family was game developers (not software engineers).

RiK(Posted 2005) [#2]
The present version is aimed at 2d development. There is an official 3d module in the pipeline.

Gillissie(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks for the update. I can't wait for it!

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#4]
Then you better "buy" some patience ... is still about at least 4 months away ... *see http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=1&log=1
for actual state*

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#5]
Maybe you haven't been around for a while but if you search the forums there is a LOT of previous discussion about the 3D module

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#6]
I know what you mean about Max being a 1/2 step to C++, but in fact you can use it at a level where it has all the simplicity of B3D. Any extra 'complexity' (and power) is at your convenience to use or leave. Max does let itself down a bit on the user manual side, but there's plenty of material on this site to help u out.