blitzmax ready for commercial games?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/blitzmax ready for commercial games?

Spot-Nothing(Posted 2005) [#1]
hi there,

as we are planning to develop a larger scaled, commercial game project this summer, we'd like to know from the community if you think that blitzmax is stable enough for a 2d action game, cross-platform with a lot of sounds and visual effects.

should we wait and focus on blitz3d for now (3d-hardware accelerated 2d graphics?) or even go back to blitz2d?

we believe that the cross-platform compatibility could increase our sales, that's why we initially thought to focus on blitzmax.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi,

I switched from using C++ to go to Blitzmax. SDL helped in my decision as it is far more compatible than Blitz3D.

My drive to get SDL into Blitzmax paid off - we can have the fancy effects and robust 2D fallback.

I would like to congratulate you on plobb, it's amusingly casual and well thought out. You should switch to blitzmax as soon as possible, and also gain the benefits of a mac market.

There's no question at all, I was driven by a commercial decision, and it is the right one.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#3]
Make it so!

I think it has all you'd need for a top-notch game. As with anything, it's not quite so much the tools or medium that you work in, but what you express through it.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2005) [#4]
I am making a commercial game with BlitzMax. Have had no problems so far. To be brutally honest, I love BlitzMax! :)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#5]
Only issues I've found so far is the limited sound support and buggy sound system. We're about to release 2 BMAX games so it's done te job for us.

Spot-Nothing(Posted 2005) [#6]
as sound is an important part of any commercial game nowadays i hope the sound system will be improved in a way that it can be called 'rock stable'. i think blitz research is concentrating on the gui and 3d module at the moment, so do you guys think the sound support will be updated very soon? else we'd have to switch to 3rd party dlls like fmod which are quite expensive for independent developers.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#7]
FMOD is the way forwards IMHO. If you manage to get FMOD working properly, would you be interested in posting the interface code for mac and windows?

I would really appreciate it if it's small and not much bother.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#8]
I've had no problems with sound so far, but I'm sure Tim has had more experience with this than me. If Blitz 2d has all the features you need, you may as well stick with that. I think it can throw sprites around faster than Max. If you want scalable, rotatable sprites with the option of alpha, Max lets you use these with less effort than Blitz3D.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2005) [#9]
I haven't had any problems with sound either. I have run alpha tests only on five computers so far, though.

Besides having better graphics engine, BlitzMax has a lot better programming language in my opinion. Object oriented code makes programming so much easier and faster.