pc has .exe - Mac has ???

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/pc has .exe - Mac has ???

sting(Posted 2005) [#1]
Ok ive been trying to look it up and all but cant find anything but "Mac's cant use .exe". Ok.. i get that.. but 'what' do they sue then? are there even extensions on mac? Are they just file names and it knows the type by its header? Im wondering because i want my program to be compatable with a mac and i at least want to 'understand' what it does. I know Blitz max can create mac apps but id like to tell the diff.

THanks all!
Eddy

Sarge(Posted 2005) [#2]
If you have blitzmax running on Windows then you cannot compile to MacOS or Linux, you will need to compile on each platform. BlitzMax does not support multi-compile under the one OS.

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#3]
Mac has .app

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#4]
I don't think mac HAS to have extensions.

Also as was said already, a Pc .exe file does not execute on the mac, not only because the CPU is (currently) different but the format of the executable is different too.

sting(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks all :)

rdodson41(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yeah, mac has .app, which is really a directory but the OS hides the extension and makes it look like an executable file and it knows how to find the real exectutable file somewhere in that directory's tree. But a real executable file on Mac has no extension, I think it is defined as an executable just by the access permissions for it.

sting(Posted 2005) [#7]
Abd people wonder why theres not as many programs made just for the Mac.. Noone can work with this "Phantom" style. :P

Tom Darby(Posted 2005) [#8]
Sting, all ya gotta do on the Mac is hit "build", and it takes care of all the .app construction for you. It's the opposite of complex.