wow... fast....

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/wow... fast....

DH(Posted 2005) [#1]
Not that this has anything to do with this forum but man, is this stuff fast!

I am in the middle of porting my scripting engine from Blitz3d over to Blitzmax and I must say, I tested some very complex operations and was able to perform 10,000 of those complex operations in less then 2ms. Mind you thats keeping all functionality inside of the objects and their methods. Each operation I update a few linked lists, change around some variables and assign pointers.

Man, that is fast stuff.

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#2]
Say, you're right. I've been so busy playing with the new stuff I didn't do any benchmarking.

Back in 2001 when I was deciding whether to go with Blitz or DarkBasic, I tried a little int/float math test with the demo of each (since I planned to use lots more math than graphics). I remember that Dark was slow (though whether slower or faster than Visual Basic I don't recall); Blitz was much faster than both, half the speed of the same demo in C.

I just ran that test again, and BMax only takes 21 ms while B3D takes 42, so Max math now looks to be as fast as C itself. Ver' nice.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#3]
hehe strange ... if this math thing has to do with the fact that they both use the same compiler? (GCC) ;)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
you don't need GCC to compile with max, only to rebuild modules that contain C source.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#5]
I ran a sieve speed test in PureBasic and BlitzMax. Although PureBasic is renowned for its tight code and speed Max came out on top being roughly 2.5 times quicker.

BlitzMax source

PureBasic source

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#6]
jepp ... and with what was the math module built? :P

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
jepp ... and with what was the math module built? :P

The same thing the math module in B3D was built with.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#8]
Jepp but there it was created as library and called not straight object linked ...