Finding what graphics driver is current?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Finding what graphics driver is current?

GW(Posted 2005) [#1]
sounds like a strange question. But how can I poll which gfx driver is currently being used at runtime?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
When you say graphics driver do you mean whether your game is using DX or GL? or do you mean the driver version that the graphics card is using?

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#3]
If you set GL drivers gl is used, otherwise DirectX (on windows)
On other systems its gl in any case :)

GW(Posted 2005) [#4]
When you say graphics driver do you mean whether your game is using DX or GL? or do you mean the driver version that the graphics card is using?

Ya, Whether its GLMax2DDriver() or DX7.
Right now the only way to tell is by the slight rendering differences.
You would think this would always be deterministic, but i'm finding out that being able poll this from Bmax at runtime is sorely needed.

GW(Posted 2005) [#5]
Bump!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#6]
the only way to tell would be to set a var yourself at the moment, although if you take a look at the updates forum I posted about wanting new compiler directives, Mark mentioned implemented some new ones and perhaps modifying the way they work.

GW(Posted 2005) [#7]
Agreed, but what im talking about is polling it from Bmax at runtime. compiler directives dont help because the graphics driver can be changed at runtime.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#8]
I'd like to see a GetGfxDriver () too -- it's just more convenient than storing in a global variable IMHO.