Too big to fit in memory

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Too big to fit in memory

Ogg77777(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have created a large scrolling map game. When I click build and run, I get a message "Program too big to fit in memory." Is this referring to my computer or is the program to big for BM (the same program runs in BP).

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#2]
Uff, never incountered that error.

First thing I would do is to check the taskmanager for the memory usage and to see how much u have free.
I doubt its an bmx ide bug. Probably some memory leak in your code. - But hard to tell without more info.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#3]
Could it be the load of the images into Video mem? If you're loading them as tiles then there's a formula somwhere for how much RAM (and I assume video RAM) they will take depending on size and colour depth. It might be why it loads into BP (i.e. into system RAM) but not Blitzmax.

Rimmsy(Posted 2005) [#4]
I had this happen today. To solve it delete the *.debug.exe your program created last. Also, delete the .bmx directory and rebuild your app. It should work now.

My game isn't memory hungry, I think it might have something to do with a malfunction during the build process. I've also had cause to kill the build and the ide in taskmanager recently too when I used DebugStop. I can use the debugger for a few minutes then it grinds to a halt and needs killing. This might be the cause but I don't know why.