BlitzMax Slow

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BlitzMax Slow

Dark Ray(Posted 2005) [#1]
Why are the sample programs coming along with the Windows demo version of BlitzMax so slow?
Is this the definitive version of BlitzMax engine?
Blitz3D is way faster on my system.

Will(Posted 2005) [#2]
Do you have the latest video-card / openGL drivers?

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#3]
Update your drivers.

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#4]
how do you do that?

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#5]
find out who makes your video card, go to their website, click on a "drivers" or "download drivers" link and enter releveant data to be given a dl link

Duckstab[o](Posted 2005) [#6]
@Darkray

Its probly the fact that the demos you are looking at are limited to refesh rates ie

The SnowFall Demo

Normally This Programme Will Run at your moniters Refresh Rate

ie Mine Run At a constant 60 htz

But if you Change the Graphics line in the Snowfall Sample
from

Graphics width,height,16

to

Graphics width,height,16,-1

The programme is now running at 500+ Fps on my system
But you will have to add your own delta timing to keep a steady movement insted of nearly 10 times faster than the eye can see

Also note that this demo is Drawing 1000 Snow flakes per Frame and Doing Five+ calculations For each Flake

That Means In one Second With Fps limit of This sample

Draws 500,000+ flakes

and 2,500,000+ calculations

Btw Change to -1 to any number to set a max fps :P
it cant always run that fast so think of it as a Fps limiter
to make stable Games

Also I can Run 10,000 Flakes Per Flip Thats 50,000 Calculations Per Flip

At 60-65 Fps Which Equals

600,000+ Flakes per Second

and 3,000,000+ Calculations Per second

Yan(Posted 2005) [#7]
Use this...

Driver Update System

techjunkie(Posted 2005) [#8]
The same goes for me - since the 1.09 update all programs that use graphics are slooooow. They where all lightning fast before the update (on the same computer)?!?!

techjunkie(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hmmmm... Update of the video drivers did it! :-) BUT, why? Why are the 1.09 version so slow with "old" drivers? That's not good - do you have to force your customers to update their video drivers?!?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#10]
That's not good - do you have to force your customers to update their video drivers?!?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, show me a single game maker who won't suggest that as a solution for graphics or performance issues.

techjunkie(Posted 2005) [#11]
Perturbatio - yes, you are right - but that doesn't explain why version 1.09 is factor x 100 slower with a two months older driver.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#12]
I assume that they fixed little problems within the opengl / graphic related implementation as there were still little things and problems around after 1.06 and as 1.07 / 1.08 never became public ... ;)