Moving from Blitz2D to BlitzMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Moving from Blitz2D to BlitzMax

SebHoll(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,
I've been programming in Blitz2D for quite some time (4 years) and it's been great but since a lot of my projects are applications, I decided to try out the new products that would offer me more functions etc. I tried Blitz+ and that was great as it used the same commands as Blitz2D but with the extra GUI commands and network commands. However, the best command I found in Blitz+ that wasn't in Blitz2D was the CreateProcess("iofile.exe") command that would execute a process and return a stream so that I could read/write to the I/O of the program. Recently, I've downloaded the trial version of BlitzMax for Windows and I can't seem to find a similiar command. I looked in the forums and found someone talking about creating threads but I don't understand it. - Could someone explain that to me?

Also I can't find anywhere, a command reference for BlitzMax so I can't see what new commands there are and I have to rely heavily on the commands I know for Blitz2D and BlitzPlus which doesn't always work. Does anyone know of any such Command Reference?

Also what is the point in the Modules for BlitzMax programs and how do you use them?

Finally, I've been told that BlitzMax doesn't yet support GUI commands as did BlitzPlus, so what's the command for in the Build Options Menu (Build GUI App). All I know about it is that if I make a basic console program and try to build it with that option turned ON then when executing the code, it's doesn't show anything but it takes up 50% of the CPU Usage yet it works fine if I take it off. (I.e. it comes up in a console window).

Thanks in advance for all your help

Seb

Yan(Posted 2005) [#2]
1) Dunno :o/

2) The Module reference section of the docs contains all the BMax commands, have a look at the Blitz Wiki also.

3) [a http://blitzwiki.org/index.php/Differences_Between_Blitz3D_and_BlitzMAX_:_Language#Project_Management_-_The_Module_System]A guide to Modules[/a].

4) You've already discovered it's main purpose for the time being. It appears to be doing more than just suppressing console output, but I don't know what. :o/

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
Take a look at Standard IO - TStandardIOStream this could be what you want (partially at leasT)

SebHoll(Posted 2005) [#4]
I can't find the function you are talking about... I read in a site that CreateProcess() will come in the next release of BlitzMax??? Is this true? - Will the demo version be updated?