Who's up for a game!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Who's up for a game!

Will(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey! Im looking for people to work on making a blitzmax game with me! Let me know if your interested, we would be working unpaid, for fun and experience.

Goal: To have a good time making something we enjoy.

Project Idea(s): Are open, if you have time and want to make something, then we will figure out what kind of game, etc. After-all, the goal is to make something we enjoy!

Projects I dont want to make:
An expansive RPG.
A emotionally rending epic anything.
A racing game (though if its a really cool idea, I'm open to it)

Let me know if there's anyone else here who is going on summer vacation, and enjoys making games!

drnmr(Posted 2005) [#2]
what about some kind of shooter...

but before id get into any thing, how do you plan to work on something "together"

Will(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well, build up a plan through IM and email, then divy up tasks and sections of the code - as whatever it is we choose to make can be easily sliced up, and start working. As we work, check back with each other often and send each other recent versions of what we are working on, possibly by setting up a forum to which we upload our most recent code each night, and from which we can download a recent version in the morning - I dont know how to set up a CVS system or really how to use one, but if you do we could use that.

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#4]
I can help with any artwork and some programming as well as long as its 2d. I'll take a look and see what options we have for some kind of project management software. We could at least use something like sourceforge.

I'm thinking we could do some kind of platformer.
I was wanting a blitzmax community project.

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
If I trusted you and knew of any past experience you had, then I'd actually consider working with you, but as it is you just sound like you're just someone new with no experience worth mentioning.

So if you have something to show for your work, I'd actually consider helping you (or letting you help me on my game [a horizontal shooter ala' Gradius, R-Type, and such]).

twistedcube(Posted 2005) [#6]
Wow that was pretty cold.

Will(Posted 2005) [#7]
Summer time is nigh, its not cold enough to bother me.

Anyway, as to my past experience: I can hold my own in Blitzmax although I don't have any formal training in programming, and I'm good with graphics, 2D and 3D. Im sure my experience cant measure up to Noel Cower's, however I want to work on a fun project and that, it appears, precludes working with Noel.

Anyone else who wants to work on a fun project and have a good time doing it, let me know. If you need a detailed list of my prior employments and access to my time-sheets, you are missing the goals of the project and are aiming at admirably more serious projects, so don't bother posting here.

Sarge(Posted 2005) [#8]
Will,

I would like to work on a fun game with you before the 3D module comes out, so if you want to work together give me a buzz.

N(Posted 2005) [#9]
Wow that was pretty cold.

Yeah, I agree, actually. Not exactly my intention, but when I see 'newbies' (I hate that word) posting saying "Let's make a game for fun and experience, oh my god it'll be, like, dude, so cool!", it just makes me want to jam sticks through their eyes.

So don't let me stop you, but be forewarned that nobody I have ever known has yet completed one of their "'newbies' join together and make a game" games. So, the sooner you get over your inane ambitions of working with other 'newbies' to produce a game for fun, the sooner you can become jaded and evil like me. And who doesn't want to be jaded and evil?

Edit: Let me try to explain why this is inane.

The concept of new users working together to create a game for fun is bad. Now, you may think that the miniscule experience of each new user is added to the next, and so the experience builds up and you get a team of people with a large amount of experience overall -- this is incorrect thinking. Experience is done via multiplication -- your experience multiplied by the other new user's experience detracts from experience overall.

So, let's say your experience is under 1.0, say 0.25. Now let's say someone else's experience is 0.5. The experience goes down, not up, whereas if you somehow illogically think in terms of additive experience it will go up.

Anyhow understand that illogical crap I just spewed?

Sarge(Posted 2005) [#10]
for fun and experience

Its for fun and im not a noob, i want to create a fun game till the 3D module comes out so i can start my real work. I dont think this is a bad idea at all if Will wants to create a fun game and he will learn at the same time from it then its best for him.

Will(Posted 2005) [#11]
I would like to propose a different paradigm for experience. Rather than experience being simply a number, simply a percentage of total blitz knowledge available, experience is a sector of blitz knowledge known. Now I wont deny that there is some inefficiency when developers work together, sometimes alot of inefficiency. But each developer has different experience, and the less experience each developer has the more chance that it doesn't overlap the experience of the other, and thus there is a great amount of rapid experience gain for each until they each have the same experience, which is the total area covered by each developers experience. That was long, and makes sense in my head (i'm imagining some weird venn diagrams) but its 1:15 AM and Im not sure it will make sense written.

Anyway, Im not that bad of a Newbie, I've coded other things in other languages, and I've taken 4 weeks out of school to work on a blitzmax project so far (thats right, i didn't go into school for 4 solid weeks :D and just did blitz all day), I know there's allot I have to learn, but Im past the hard part of the learning curve and I can definitely hold my own in a standard blitz project with veteran devs.

N(Posted 2005) [#12]
thats right, i didn't go into school for 4 solid weeks :D

You're a nutter 0_o

TeaVirus(Posted 2005) [#13]
If you want to give me a chunk of the code to work on I'll help out. Like Noel, I've never seen one of these projects actually go anywhere but maybe we can at the very least least learn how NOT to run a group project. I have a SVN server set up and can create a repository for this if you want.

Will(Posted 2005) [#14]
How does an SVN server / repository work?

N(Posted 2005) [#15]
http://subversion.tigris.org/

twistedcube(Posted 2005) [#16]
Like it was said, even if nothing solid comes out of it at least some people will get to learn some stuff from each other.

As Far as being evil is concerned Noel I'll leave that up to you.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#17]
Go to school, kids. It's good for you.