BlitzMax Demo for Linux

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BlitzMax Demo for Linux

Ragman(Posted 2005) [#1]
Anyone know what the score is regarding the Linux demo ???

I'd like ot try it out before commiting the cash :)

Ragman

Jams(Posted 2005) [#2]
Apparently not :(

i'd like to see some official word from BRL on the linux demo, is it ever gonna happen?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#3]
I suspect the hesitancy is due to the vagaries of Linux, and the "dependency hell" that you can find yourself in dependent on the distro you're installing on. I sure wouldn't want a million sales enquiries saying it won't work on Fubuntu Bewildered Wilderbeast, etc. I'd personally suggest they sort out some kind of package / installer before doing a linux demo...

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#4]
What Mark said. Until there's a traditional Linux-friendly distribution package (.deb, .rpm or source tarball), that people can just install and be done with, I don't think a Linux demo is a particularly good representation of BlitzMAX.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#5]
It's still better than no representation at all imo - and aren't linux users somewhat accustomed to troublesome installs??

Doesnt have to be a full fledged demo, just a few sample programs to demonstrate that BMax does indeed work properly & full speed on Linux would be enough for me to make the purchase - but right now i've got nothing to go on...

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#6]
aren't linux users somewhat accustomed to troublesome installs??
Well a lot of them are. Unfortunately these are also in large part the kind of C++ elitists that wouldn't give BlitzMAX a second look. And they make sweeping generalizations too! :o>

To get any real penetration on the Linux market you would have to have a more non-technical installation method than "hit and miss" with regards to dependancies.

Preferably they'd also setup an apt repository to make installing BlitzMAX even easier.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#7]
"would have to have a more non-technical installation method than "hit and miss" with regards to dependancies.
Preferably they'd also setup an apt repository to make installing BlitzMAX even easier."

How is it done with the full linux version of bmax??? And if it's good enough for the full version, why not the demo version?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#8]
How is it done with the full linux version of bmax??? And if it's good enough for the full version, why not the demo version?

See the HOWTO's in the Linux forum and you'll see how much fun it can be with the full version...

Jams(Posted 2005) [#9]
See the HOWTO's in the Linux forum and you'll see how much fun it can be with the full version...

I'm not denying it's a pain to install

But imagine this, if BRL did make an easy installer or apt-repository for the demo, how @#!*ed off would people be to have a painless demo install, and then have to do all that if & when they purchase the full version?

I realise i'm representing a tiny market here, but i just don't see why, if there's a full version, there can't be a demo version too...

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#10]
If BRL did make an apt-repository for the demo, it would be a relatively simple step (I imagine) to add one to the full version aswell.