what difference BlitzMax and BlitzPlus ?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/what difference BlitzMax and BlitzPlus ?

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#1]
what difference BlitzMax and BlitzPlus ?

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#2]
BlitzPlus offers DirectX 2D, Win API, sound and networking in a fairly closed package.

BlitzMax is module based, which means that altho currently it only offers OpenGL 2D, sound and some basic networking, it will eventually offer modules for 3D (OpenGL and DirectX), physics, Win API, advanced sound (thru FMOD), and probably many more not yet thought of.

Also, the languages are fairly different, not least because BlitzMax is OO (object oriented).

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#3]
Your mean is that I maybe only use BlitzMax, to abandon BlitzPlus and Blitz3D, OK?

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#4]
in other words, BlitzMax can develop 3D games later. ok?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
yes it can, and in fact you can do 3D games now, but only using OpenGL

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#6]
I would clarify that you don't HAVE to do any object-oriented kind of programming in BlitzMax, I still program in a mostly procedural way.

And yes you can do 3D with OpenGL, you just don't yet have so many higher-level commands to make it easier.

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#7]
I learned oop with Max and I think its THE way to go if you want to keep your code in good shape.

The alternative IMO is using global variables and procedures, which results in fast, sloppy code, ok for projects up to 1000 lines.

I never really managed to get good functional code done (i.e. without using globals, but passing stuff in and out functions), its BORING as hell to pass stuff in and out of functions, then you discover you must pass tons of other stuff to make it actually reusable and bah...