display speed is very slow

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/display speed is very slow

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have just update display driver, but the speed is very slow, why???

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
perhaps a little more information would be helpful?

What graphics card are you using (make, chipset, memory)?
what driver version did you update to?
what Operating System are you running?
What code are you testing your system with?

and any more information you can think of that might help us help you. :)

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#3]
GeForce2 MX 400
Nvidia4274Win2KXP.zip

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
the NVidia drivers are up to version 71.89, theses drivers work fine for me. ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html )
the international download has support for chinese (simplified) and chinese (traditional).

Incidentally, what processor do you have?

semar(Posted 2005) [#5]
GuoQiang,

can you post the code you are running ? We can't help so much otherwise..

Anyway, could be that you have set a slow refresh rate with the Graphic command ? You know, the syntax has changed from B3D to BMax..

So in BMax the statement
Graphics 640,480,0,16 refers to a 640X480 windowed mode, with a refresh rate of 16 hertz:
Graphics XWidth,Ywidth,Color_resolution,Refresh_Rate(in Hertz)

If this is the case, try:
Graphics 640,480,0
- or -
Graphics 640,480,0,50 <--- 50 refresh per second

As you see, without seeing the code you are actually running, we can only speculate about the problem.

Sergio.

Floyd(Posted 2005) [#6]
the NVidia drivers are up to version 71.89

But he has a GeForce2.

I have a GeForce3 and the 41.09 driver works very well.

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#7]
processor is Pentium 4 2.0Ghz
Ram is 512M

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]

But he has a GeForce2.

and? The drivers still support it.

GuoQiang: Your system seems more than capable of running blitzmax, the lowest spec part being the gfx card.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#9]
I have a GeForce3 and the 41.09 driver works very well.
I'm using Detonator 45.23 with the Geforce2Go in the TabletPC, which is probably even slower than the MX card. I think Sergio is correct, we'll need to know what code is running slow. Are any of the samples for instance also slow?

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#10]
I have just update dirver to version 71.89, this issue has been resolved.

Thanks Perturbatio and everyone!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#11]
no problem :)

R0B0T0(Posted 2005) [#12]
As a Blitz3d user thinking about moving to BlitzMax, I'm seeing a lot of problem resolutions like that, which is worrisome. Is that what we are going to have to tell everyone who wants to download a demo, please update your drivers to the very latest?

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#13]
I agree... Also on this PC in the computer lab stuff is slow on window mode, good on fullscreen

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#14]
Is that what we are going to have to tell everyone who wants to download a demo, please update your drivers to the very latest?
You should do this out of principle. Anyway a DX7 fallback module for people with hopelessly out-of-date drivers is appearently in the works.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#15]
As a Blitz3d user thinking about moving to BlitzMax, I'm seeing a lot of problem resolutions like that, which is worrisome. Is that what we are going to have to tell everyone who wants to download a demo, please update your drivers to the very latest?

that's OpenGL for you -- support is less than stellar on Windows, since most windows games focus on directX instead of OpenGL.

You can often get things to work by using the latest drivers, but it's somewhat of an issue anyway... Although supposedly there is a directX module for BMax on its way as well, which may be able to fix a lot of these issues.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#16]
I challenge anyone to get support from a games company for a graphical issue (performance or otherwise), without the first suggestion being "update your graphics drivers".

R0B0T0(Posted 2005) [#17]
Don't get me wrong, I realize a driver update is often a valid solution to a graphics issue; it just seems to me (at least anecdotally) that blitz3d is a lot more forgiving that blitzmax. I'd prefer not to have the user associate that hassle with a small demo, for example.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#18]
it just seems to me (at least anecdotally) that blitz3d is a lot more forgiving that blitzmax.

More like the user's current drivers do DX7 better than OpenGL.

I'd prefer not to have the user associate that hassle with a small demo, for example.

Problem is that there's not much Mark can do about it, if the drivers are rubbish, then they're rubbish.

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#19]
What 's newest version dirver for radeon 9600?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#20]
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

Xip(Posted 2005) [#21]
I had the same problems with my old gfx card, an Geforce2mx 400, i only got a fiew(5+ if lucky) fps on ANY openGL test i tryed(even if ther only were a few vertexes), and i was using the latest drivers at that moment...

the geforce2mx 400 dont seems to be very good at ogl...

[edit]
I se now that he found the problem and fixed it with a driver, maby thay added a new ogl after doom3 was released, it was a fiew years ago i changed my gfx card.
but at that moment, it dident mather what driver i used... hmmm
[/edit]