Finally Bought Max

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Finally Bought Max

Snarty(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

Well, I was waiting for BMax for Windows, it's here, and so am I now. Just saying hello :)

Anyhow, no idea what I'll code, I'm sure I'll think of something. Migrating ProPixel seems far too much of a task to start with ;)

semar(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi and welcome on board Snarty - I wish you lots of fun with BMax !

Sergio.

Snarty(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks Sergio :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#4]
Welcome

Simon S(Posted 2005) [#5]
After well over a year away from coding, I decided blitzmax could be just the thing to rekindle my interest.

I've been messing around with it for a few days now. First impressions?

The manual is, well poor at best. Lacking any code examples for the majority of commands. Apologies to those that worked hard on the manual but I'm really not finding it of any use (instead I've been searching the forums for answers). Still, the manual has always been a consitently weak aspect of Blitz on the PC.

As for the language, initially I struggled with the new OO style (see the above paragraph), but now that I'm getting to grips with it I am very, very impressed indeed.

The code is much easier to read, it's far easier to organise things in a logical fashion with the nifty methods within types. What little I've written seems very good indeed; readable, fast and hugely flexible.

Also I'm absolutely in love with the new alpha/scale/rotate stuff openGL allows.

Hopefully I'll be releasing new stuff soon, and posting plenty of questions on the boards.

Overall it's more great work from the Blitz team, and as I'd hoped it has indeed rekindled my interest in coding.

TeaVirus(Posted 2005) [#6]
Good to hear Snarty! I hope we get to see a cross platform max version of Pro Pixel in the future!

Simon S - Any chance of a max version of "It's Bloody Murder"? =)

Simon S(Posted 2005) [#7]
Nope, well not in the immediate future anyway. Converting it to Blitz+ and the crippling problems that brought about kind of killed my enthusiasm of the whole thing. I still have all the media for it though, so who knows what I'll do in the future.

I'm writing a robotron clone just for the practice right now. Sitting scratching my head about the best collision system to use. Hopefully I can have something entertaining running soon enough.

Snarty(Posted 2005) [#8]
Hiya Simon, nice to see a familiar nick :)

And yes, I totally agree with you on the poor documentation. I would love to see more technical information regarding what the commands are actually wrapping/doing.

Another note on the documentation.. "Import" names would be a nice touch in the module docs. It took a while to find out that BRL.Retro contains the Hex() command for instance. (Thanks to Sarge on IRC for hunting that one down with me)

Tea: Maybe at some point, I would need a Mac to start with, which won't be for some time yet. Though a Win32 Max version may well be on the cards once I feel comfortable enough with the language and have built up my own class and module base.

Anyhow.. back to coding my Win32 example, which is good fun :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#9]
I also agree about the docs, very vague at best :( Still, I`m sure that they will catch up eventually as apart from this BlitzMax is looking like a great language.

Nice to see you back Simon, how about bringing some of your old Amiga classics back to life? FlatMates would be great with some realtime effects.

Jason.

Simon S(Posted 2005) [#10]
Agreed Snarty, it's nice to be back and to see familiar folk still here on the boards.

Also: Excellent idea Quicksilva. Blitzmax would do a great job of that game. The realtime rotation and transparency alone would make for a very slick looking game.

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#11]
Glad you agree. I hope to see a remake one day then ;)

Jason.

MarkT(Posted 2005) [#12]
I agree with ya snarty. The Documentation is poor, but BMAX is starting to re-kindle my intrest

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2005) [#13]
How bout you finish Montys Jelly bean factory you lazy git :)

Good to see you online again Snarts.

A

Snarty(Posted 2005) [#14]
lol @ Andy.. /me hides. Yeah, might be worth revisting, not seen Shez around for ages though. And thanks :)

Mark: Yeah, it's starting to do that to me too.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#15]
I would love to see more technical information regarding what the commands are actually wrapping/doing.
Is this a bad time to point out that the source is available, so you can check it out for yourself? You can't get more accurate documentation than that.

Snarty(Posted 2005) [#16]
ahh nice one, yeah, found that out after some playing. :)