Problem with Intel 82915G

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Problem with Intel 82915G

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#1]
I downloaded the Windows demo of BlitzMax and tried some of the samples. The samples work fine but when exiting back to the IDE my display gets messed up (display looks interlaced, zoomed in so you don't see the whole screen, and PC needs to be rebooted to get things back to normal).

My PC is a Dell with an Intel 82915G with driver version 6.14.10.4020. I know they're not the the most recent drivers, but the most recent ones (version 4299 I believe) don't install properly (localised strings don't get installed and I can't get into the advanced properties).

Anyone else seen this, or got any idea on how to get around it? I'd love to try BlitzMax :-)

QuietBloke(Posted 2005) [#2]
hmmm.. My laptop did the same thing a couple of times.
I didnt have to reboot I just managed to find my way around the desktop to change the screen settings ( change the resolution or bit depth ) which cleared up the display.
The odd thing is that now all the demo's work fine.
I wonder if it was the bit depth of the display that caused the problem...
When I get some time I'll try various settings to see if I can recreate the problem.

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#3]
Unfortunately I can't change the resolution 'cos the display is so messed up that the mouse is out of alignment with the display properties window and I can't figure it out.

It works okay in windowed mode which is fine for me trying it out, it's just a pain when I run a demo without checking the Graphics command and then I have to reboot :-(

QuietBloke(Posted 2005) [#4]
ahh OK.. its a little easier for me. Rightclicking on the desktop gives me options to change graphics modes in the menu. Its still a bit tricky but you can just about pick the right menu options.

Anyways.. Im on a Laptop which shows under the Display Adapters

Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller.

After playing around I found that when I have the Graphics option to Panel Fit Enabled I get the corrupted display when exiting any full screen BlitzMax demo.
Disabling it cures the problem.. problem is that if the app uses a low res mode I end up with the graphics appearing in a tiny window in the middle of the screen.

QuietBloke(Posted 2005) [#5]
Juts played about a little more. If I Disable write combining in the Advanced/troublshooting panel for the adapter and then enable the panel fit option then run a fullscreen BMax app the game runs stretched which is great but it the game does appear to run a bit slower.
On the plus side when I quit the app I no longer get corruption of the display.

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#6]
Might give those a try - thanks :-)