Maximum Hertz ?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Maximum Hertz ?

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#1]
What happens if I set the Hertz in the Graphics function to something really high like 300? My monitor won't blow up will it?

It's not that I want to set it that high I am just curious what will happen.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
it will work fine, try 1000, it works fine for me.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#3]
My Monitor doesn't handle more than 500 but I think you can test it by setting the hertz value to -1. This will bring maximum Hertz.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
the hertz value in the graphics command does not reflect the refresh rate of your monitor, it's the number of graphical updates.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#5]
I know, but on my PC it was the same values. If I set the Hertz higher then the Maximum framerate i had, I will only get a black screen.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#6]
My Monitor doesn't handle more than 500 but I think you can test it by setting the hertz value to -1.
Now granted, I don't know which monitor you have, but I'm willing to bet any ammount of money you care to mention that it doesn't display 500Hz resolutions. Even if it did, few graphicscards have the output capacity for more than about 250 in the absolutely lowest resolution.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#7]
BlitzMax first tries to open a screenmode with the hertz you specified for the refresh rate. -IF THAT FAILS- it will open a 'safe' refresh rate (Mark has said he wants to change this to be smarter in the future) - usually 60hz. Internally, the code will still run at the hz you specified.

If your drivers or your hardware incorrectly report their capabilities to the operating system (ie saying you can support a higher hz than you actually can) then this system will break down and cry. If your monitor is crap there is a risk of it blowing up. However, I don't know of any monitors that will let themsleves do that anymore. The good ones bring a message saying 'out of sync' or whatever. The lesser ones will just switch off/blank out.