Dumb question: How do you build an exe?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Dumb question: How do you build an exe?

Idiot(Posted 2005) [#1]
On the program menu I see "Build" and "Build & Run." I'm sure I'm missing something, how do you compile into a stand alone executable?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
Every time that you Build OR Build & Run it creates an executable file on disk. It just happens that when you built it and run it Blitz will execute the program for you. If you look on your disk after you've Built (or Built and Run) you will see a file with the same name as your sourcecode but without the .bmx extension. That is the executable. I'm not sure whether on PC and Linux it has a .exe extension, but it doesn't on a Mac. You can run that exe file by clicking on it as your would to load any other application.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
a windows executable will have .exe on the end, a linux one won't.

Idiot(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well, then I'm confused, there's an executable there, but it's three days old. It's not creating a new one when I build.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#5]
And you are sure the date and time is right?
Don't laugh... Only yesterday my tax adviser could not make online banking ... until we found out his date was set to 2050 (I wonder if the orders will be executed then again ;-)
Another reason may be, that you have not saved it into a folder under a certain name - then it compiles all exes to and runs them from the tmp folder; Your_BMax_Folder\tmp\untitled1.exe

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#6]
also, if the source has not changed since last build and you have quick buld enabled, it will not update the executable.

Idiot(Posted 2005) [#7]
The source has certainly changed, it's an old version. I deleted it and it did not create another one.

RaGR.. what do you mean saved under a certain name?

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#8]
Where did you look for the exe?
It is normally in the same place as the main source code you compile (at least in the standard IDE) and if it does not show up there it is in the BM temp folder ... but this should only happen if it was not capable to transfer it to the folder of the BM ... this normally only happens if it is a somehow "secured" folder

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#9]
If it's running with your changes, it's certainly creating the exe somewhere!

Try [Process Explorer]. Compile and run your program, then find it in the Process Explorer list and choose Properties from the right-click menu. That'll give you the path to the executable.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#10]
Have you got Quick Build turned off BTW? Is it going through the build process or just saying "Process Complete"?

Idiot(Posted 2005) [#11]
Turning off Quick Build seemed to do the trick. Strange because code had changed, so it should have built a newer version.