Question on BlitzMax (WIN32)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Question on BlitzMax (WIN32)

maverick69(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello,

I'm currently using Blitz3D and in the next days I'll start to work on my next game. As there isn't a Win32-Version of BlitzMax available I'm currently thinking of buying it and start developing using the Windows-Beta Version, so I want to ask if this is possible. Is most of it stable already or are there a lot of bugs left. I heard that the WIN-Version will be ready very soon, so it would probably better to start using BlitzMax Beta than coding the next 3 or 4 months using Blitz3D.

Also, because a OS X / Linux Port would also become possible.

I don't need 3D-Stuff for my next project, so it doesn't matter weather there is already a 3D-Module available.

So: Is developing already possible using Bmax Win Beta (and then swtiching to the stable during development progress)?

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#2]
maverick69
So: Is developing already possible using Bmax Win Beta (and then swtiching to the stable during development progress)?

Yes it is!

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#3]
I disagree.
I would never develop on a beta release of a product.
Test it, play with it, break it etc but don't rely on it.
BlitzMax is stable *but* changeable.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#4]
As it has a modular build there is no problem with changes.

Only the import parts if you use your own framework might change :)

And the language and modules itself aren't beta as it is the same as on Mac ... just the IDE and BMK are beta.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#5]
And the language and modules itself aren't beta as it is the same as on Mac ... just the IDE and BMK are beta.

Pfff... Yeah, OK!!! IMO, until I see an official 'Win32 release' statement the whole win32 product is in Beta.

maverick69(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hmmmm... I think I'll give it a try and order BMax now. Do I get instant access to the betas after registering?

just the IDE and BMK are beta.

BTW: sorry for my ignorance but what was BMK again?

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#7]
Is developing already possible using Bmax Win Beta (and then swtiching to the stable during development progress)?
Yes.

I would never develop on a beta release of a product.
Your loss. Most development cycles are long enough that by the time you're actually done developing your thing, the technology it's based on is well out of beta, and rather on its way to becomming obsolete.

BTW: sorry for my ignorance but what was BMK again?
BMK is the BlitzMAX make utillity. It's what "makes" all the different parts of your program into a finished executable.

From a users perspective, you shouldn't worry about it, as all of this underlying engine stuff is abstracted away with a suitable IDE (such as the one included).

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#8]

Your loss.

.... that's odd 'cos I don't *feel* as if I'm losing out on anything.
Maverick69, if you're asking whether you should get the beta then I'd say yes. It will take a little time to get used to the new language and commands. Do your design document and do your test programs but don't fully commit to code until release.

maverick69(Posted 2005) [#9]

BMK is the BlitzMAX make utillity. It's what "makes" all the different parts of your program into a finished executable.

Ah okay, so currently I can compile, but each turn all parts of my code will be re-compiled rather than only the required parts (like in C).

Thank you for all your helpful posts!!!!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#10]
Ah okay, so currently I can compile, but each turn all parts of my code will be re-compiled rather than only the required parts (like in C).

Not if you have quick build enabled. It will only compile the portions that have changed.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#11]
I had no problems with Max on Win32, and from a coding point of view, it has to remain compatible with the (released) Mac version, so unless you intend to modify the internals, no problems.