5 button mice

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/5 button mice

Tob_b(Posted 2005) [#1]
Just bought Bmax and will try it out tonight, but from the documentation it appears only three button mice are supported in Bmax, as in earlier versions? Is this true? I realise Mark is the busiest Kiwi in the world, bought a Mac with one button mouse, etc, but any chance of support for the back/forward buttons? I work with these 5 button things and it has become second nature to use the extra buttons, that's all...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm not sure, but I think you can get at these using keyboard input stuff. You'll notice in keycodes.bmx that the first three entries are mouse 'keys'. Scroll down a bit, and there are a few intriguing 'back' and 'forward' keys. Without trying (or for that matter a >3 button mouse to try it with), no idea if that's any help!

Tob_b(Posted 2005) [#3]
Oh yeah, well spotted mate. There are also some gaps in the codes, like l=1, r=2 , middle=4 and then it jumps to 8 so maybe 5,6 and 7 are more buttons? I'll have to check this out later. Thanks. ;)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#4]
yeah try printing the result of waitkey()
Running Max on my Mac mini, it currently doesn't recognise the middle mouse button, but the extra side buttons come out as 'Cursor left' and 'Cursor right'.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#5]

Oh yeah, well spotted mate. There are also some gaps in the codes, like l=1, r=2 , middle=4 and then it jumps to 8 so maybe 5,6 and 7 are more buttons? I'll have to check this out later. Thanks. ;)

this is a binary set values, and makes it easier to combine values, and also read input.. ie. if the mousebuttons return "3", then you know that the left and right buttons are both pressed.. (1 + 2)

Tob_b(Posted 2005) [#6]
@Falken & Tiffany - nope, the buttons on the side aren't picked up under waitkey at all.
@Lars - oh, makes sense, thanks. ;)

Thanks for your help anyway guys.

Tob_b(Posted 2007) [#7]
So... wonder whether this was ever added... thinking of turning back to Blitz programming, but not if this is still a problem...

Czar Flavius(Posted 2007) [#8]
Being as most people don't have that many buttons on their mice, how far is it really a problem?

grable(Posted 2007) [#9]
Check this out: Only three mouse buttons? but its win2k/xp/vista only :/

Tob_b(Posted 2007) [#10]
I work in IT, see hundreds of PC's each week and rarely see three button mice anymore. When wheel mice came in and then five button mice, I was "oh, another gimmick" but it feels weird looking for a back button now, really outdated in a way. Downloaded Blitzmax again and scanned the help file and clicked back and thought "wtf?" before I remembered this...

Thanks grable, will try this tonight.