Release notes for non Max owners?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Release notes for non Max owners?

Dragon57(Posted 2005) [#1]
Perhaps I missed a post or don't know where to look, but I have been looking around to see what the current 1.05 release has over the 1.00 release. I haven't bought Max yet, but have downloaded the 1.00 demo version. I am have thought about buying the current version, but without knowing what has been been addressed since the initial release, I am hesitant to do so. Does this info exist such that non-owners can see it?

Emmett(Posted 2005) [#2]
Apparently not.

I suggest using the contact button and selecting Sales in the drop down.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#3]
Here's a dump of the latest versions.txt, hopefully some info regarding the latest modules and additions will be available soon.

DH(Posted 2005) [#4]
IMO I feel as though all this hush-hush blitzmax crap is a bit annoying. Ooooo look, its the "secret hush-hush club", I wonder what they're up to.

As a dedicated blitz owner (Blitz3d, Blitzplus, etc) I feel as though I have been left out in the cold. I refuse to buy a product I can't test regardless of where my loyalties are. And thus far, all this silience has shown me that my hesitation to buy is probably the right thing to do. No demos, no exes, no videos, no nothing. Nothing to show that blitzmax is nothing more then an over-rated calc.exe. No insight to the language (other then a mac demo that I have no way of running unless I go out and spend a grand on a mac).

Oh good, core release 1.05 is out, whats soo cool about this, now if I visit the beta forum, oh wait, i cant... No wait, I can! All I have to do is spend 100 bucks and I can find out whats going on.. Will it do what I need it to? probably not, not at this point anyhow. But 100 bucks buys my way into finding out.. Sad...

It's a great marketing strategy though. It almost makes me want to stand out on the corner of my street with my hands cupped together. As poeple walk by, I will peek into my hands.. When they look over, and ask what is in my hands I will request $50 before allowing them to see.. After they hand me 50, I will issue them a membership card and let them have a peek. -Briliant!-

GW(Posted 2005) [#5]
The windows version still has issues, but they're not that severe at this point it seems. they're mostly related to the IDE. The language itself is pretty solid. After playing with it more and getting the hang of it i'm coming around.
So basicaly it comes down to this, 'Its still in beta'. As in not ready for release. But its close and its plenty usable now.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#6]
I refuse to buy a product I can't test regardless of where my loyalties are.
Then wait until the product ships, and you can try out a demo. Nobody is asking you to buy it.

No demos, no exes, no videos, no nothing.
You must mean apart from James' little shooter game.

All I have to do is spend 100 bucks and I can find out whats going on.
Actually it's 80.

But 100 bucks buys my way into finding out.
No it doesn't. 80 bucks buys you a license to all three versions of BlitzMAX. Currently only the Mac version is offered for sale, but Blitz Research decided that there was no point in not offering the Linux/Windows Beta to already paying customers so they could determine whether BlitzMAX really did deliver on that whole cross-platform development thing.

I know a lot of Windows owners are pissed off that BRL decided to not primarily focus development on the Windows version, but it makes sense, when you're doing something innovative to developer for the better technology platform first, so you won't have to deal with (amoungst other things) that whole 1970's mindset that 4 CPU registers should be enough for everyone. The fact is that with the inferior technological platform on which Windows is executed, development simply takes longer. If you want to blame someone, blame Intel for not getting with the program, and blame Microsoft for being to reactive (as opposed to proactive, which we are fortunately seeing a shift towards).

Don't blame Blitz Research - it's out of their hands anyway.

Wiebo(Posted 2005) [#7]

Bull. It's a matter of priorities, and BR decided upon Mac. And 'better platform' is not appropriate here, it's the 'most used platform' whether you like it or not...

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#8]
It was a good choice to release it for the Mac first...
Seeing how much bug-reporting (and complaining) there is allready with the win32 and linux betas, I can't even imagine how things would have been if they had released it on all platforms at once..

z80jim(Posted 2005) [#9]
I've only become involved with the Blitz products with the release of BlitzMax for OS X. Glad they did it that way because I just love it. It has put fun back into recreational programming again.

For my part I think they put out a great product for the Mac. Can it be improved? Certainly the language is and will continue to evolve. The actual IDE can be improved too but I have found it to be emminently useful. My biggest request in the OS X version would be a drop down procedure list in the source editor.

I am surprised they released a Mac version first. From what I can tell they have a history of Windows only products. What do the authors say about why they went with Mac first? Were they developing all version simulataneously and the Mac was done first?

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#10]
It's a matter of priorities, and BR decided upon Mac. And 'better platform' is not appropriate here
So what you're saying is that if platform "A" is more developer friendly than platform "B" then developing applications for both platforms takes a constant ammount of time?

it's the 'most used platform' whether you like it or not.
I never argued that it wasn't. You'll notice however, that when developing software, the number of end users has no effect on development time.

Developing software for the less developerfriendly, more convoluted API will take larger ammounts of time regardsless of whether it has a thousand users or a million users.

I am surprised they released a Mac version first.
It was finished first.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#11]
I don't think that Mac is more dev friendly.
It just has less glitches and not 1% of the possible hardware configs which is for sure one of the main sources for bugs.

So for making the core stable, the OS with the lowest number of possible system configurations is the best choice ( would do the same for alpha tests of an app. On windows most bugs are due to users that don't keep their system up to date )

Dragon57(Posted 2005) [#12]
Simon,
Many thanks for the versions.txt listing. It was very helpful. If this file could be posted after version updates, I think it would help us non-owners see what had actually been addressed since release and should increase sales.

Now that I see what has been done since the 1.00 release, I have decided to start saving towards buying Max very soon.

Also, I wasn't intending to start another thread that prompted any kind of flame war, etc. I just wanted some info to help me on my future purchasing decisions.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#13]
I don't think that Mac is more dev friendly.
Well that would largely be a matter of personal preference, ofcourse.

Some API's will be more appealing to people of a certain "school of thought", while others would be less so.

DH(Posted 2005) [#14]

Of course I dont. I blame myself for being a stable enough of a pesonality to NOT buy something just to find out what it's about. Call it a weakness I guess.

So many users just baught Blitzmax because it was blitzmax, they even stated they didn't have a mac, they just wanted to have it... Oddly enough, the win32 beta came out.. Now everyone is showing screen shots for 3d work in blitzmax here and there... "I can't show you anything else until it comes out of beta, cant tell you anything about the language, no win32 demos or open beta tests to existing BLTIZ owners!"....

I am not trying to continue this flame war, I just feel betrayed as a blitz owner... I don't need to argue about how I feel.