BlitzMax 2D / Blitz3D 2D comparison

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BlitzMax 2D / Blitz3D 2D comparison

Fry Crayola(Posted 2005) [#1]
BlitzMax comes with a lot more features for 2D graphics, including rotation, alpha and scaling. Which is good.

However, how does it compare with Blitz3D's regular functions in terms of speed? Is it significantly faster, or does it work in the same way and thus have no impact?

I ask because I'm having a few problems drawing large images in Blitz3D, which I can rectify by using a 2D-in-3D engine. If BlitzMax's 2D functionality is significantly faster it might not be worth my time modifying my Blitz3D code.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
BMax uses 2D in 3D already, so that might well solve your problem.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2005) [#3]
How did Blitz3D work? Am I right in thinking that all the 2D commands used software instead of hardware?

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#4]
Blitz3D used DirectDraw for 2D stuff which is far better for older hardware ( especially Office PCs on which OpenGL is normally only usable over very crap MS OpenGL software emulation )

Fry Crayola(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hmm. I'm targetting a minimum spec of 1Ghz (given that the game is to be released in over a year's time)... I assume then that computers with that specification would be able to handle OpenGL?

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#6]
Only if the user is not a casual gamer and has his/her drivers up to date.

CPU specs have no influence on graphic drivers which are the core problem.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2005) [#7]
Just drivers then. Shouldn't be a problem, it's not really aimed at the casual gaming market.

Cheers for the advice.