Storing tile info

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Storing tile info

MattVonFat(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi.

I am trying to make a tile based platform game. I made the tiles in a strip and loaded them with LoadAnimImage and the read a text file which stores the level data as:

sort of thing. What would be a better way of doing it which is still quick? Like it is now i can't tell whether the tile is passable or not.

Any suggestions?

Matt

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#2]
That'd be the way I'D do it. The text file is for the map or level you're displaying? Then looks like you have the bases covered.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#3]
perhaps making two (or more) arrays.. on to hold the image pointer in an x,y format, and one to hold info on collision at the same x,y coord..?!?
something like;
image_to_draw = MAP_ARRAY(x,y)  ; returns image number
collision     = COL_ARRAY(x,y)  ; returns 1 if collidable, 0 if passable

store and load everything in a normal textfile..
perhaps the first two numbers to redim the array size, then you can loop through the map and collision (++ if other) to set stuff up..

.. that's how I would do it anyways... but it's only 1 way of doing it..

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
That's the way it was done in the alien breen remake, there were several layers including a collision layer.
Each layer was simply an array that stored the required values.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#5]
I've just suggested to somebody else they use map_array(x,y,1) with the third dimension walkable/non-walkable.
Is this a good way of doing it?

MattVonFat(Posted 2005) [#6]
I oculd try both ideas, is there any difference in size or speed betwee having maybe 3 arrays holding data or having one array array holding the data like TonyG suggested?

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'd like to know this as well as I'm surprised people here use different arrays.
I would also extend the third dimension to hold data such as
which tile to display when destroyed, terrain cost to traverse N/S/E/W, cover, concealment, noise etc etc.
Not sure of the benefit putting this stuff in a type/list now.

MattVonFat(Posted 2005) [#8]
Wow! I would have never thought of holding those sorts of things about tiles. Its amazing how interactive you could get a tile based game to be!

Why0Why(Posted 2005) [#9]
I use a 2D array of types. My type holds all sorts of things, terrain cost, population, food, you name it.