Ogg?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Ogg?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#1]
How exactly do you go about creating a piece of music for use in BlitzMax? I know ogg is some kind of fileformat like mp3 or whatever, but what software do I need (Mac) to write/create/sample/save Ogg-format music and sound effects?

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#2]
Can you just convert the final wav/mp3 to ogg, it's just a fileformat like you said.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2005) [#3]
http://www.nouturn.com/oggdrop/index.html

Emmett(Posted 2005) [#4]
You should get Audacity. A great, simple, free sound file manipulator.
Will export to oog-format if you want.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#5]
That looks really cool, thanks!

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yep! Audacity is really great for conversion!!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#7]
Audacity seems to be great for handling audio samples, and lots of plugins available too. ... but how do you go about creating a piece of music? Do you have to create it with a music keyboard and sample it, or is there a music notation or sequencing or package out there?

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#8]
but how do you go about creating a piece of music? Do you have to create it with a music keyboard and sample it, or is there a music notation or sequencing or package out there?

You can do either.

Some people create music with a MIDI keyboard and pipe it directly into your computer, some of them record music the old fashioned way and then digitize the results. Others use so-called 'tracker' software that allows you to sequence music directly into the computer using nothing but your keyboard and a bunch of instrument samples.

If you look around, you can also find some free musiconline that can be used in your own games.
(search for music labled either as Public Domain, or music that comes with a 'Creative Commons' license which may allow you to include it with your own creations.)

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#9]
you can make music (on mac) with garageband, no strings attached

cheers
charlie

AaronK(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yeah or if you're on a PC, something like ACID Pro by Sony is awesome. Loop based systems are cool if you're not a total muso - which I aint.

Aaron

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#11]
For those of us who bought a mac before garage band was bundled, what is a good sequencer or mod-maker to use?