How exactly do you use BMAX

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/How exactly do you use BMAX

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#1]
Ok, I've had a fair amount of playing around with Beta MAX Windows. A fair amount of my programs havent ported over correctly at all. So I will only use BMAX for a few things.

To the topic in hand. When making programs and compiling them, how should we all be writting our creations?

As im not using any of this Framework, custom Modules buisness nor any incbin malarky as I have na idea what it's about, and it's purpose. Should I be using it?

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#2]
Not unless you want to. Framework and imports reduce the exe size. Custom modules extend the use of max but are not essential if you're happy with the delivered command set. Incbin simply 'internalises' all you data files (images etc) so you don't have to supply them externally. However, you could use a different datapacker.

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#3]
Are there any other datapackers for blitzmax? I know incbin is good but I was thinking of moleboc#x also. I havn't checked the molebox forums for a while to see if BMX support is in so I dont know if molebox currently supports blitzmax. I'll have a look though.

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#4]
If I was to, how do I decide and pick which bits to have in the framework?

I like the sound of inc bin, sound interesting. Can all media types be used with it?

Thanks for the pointers.

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#5]
I dont think you can pack .dll's using the incbin command but everything else I'm pretty sure does pack.

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#6]
I've not much time left tonight, so will experiment later tommorrow. Do you know what the compact ratio is? Meaning, is it less / more / or the same as having the media included in a Folder.

I wonder if UPX works with it,

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
At a guess (and without even bothering to check), I would imagine that incbin does not compress the data at all, simply appends it to the executable and allows you to access it.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#8]
There is a problem using incbin fonts.
There's a thread somewhere where Mark explained the prbolem and suggested creating a temp file from the incbin for the font.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#9]
Amon: well, if im not mistaking, one can load dll's dynamicly, if so, then ther is no reason for incbin not to work by loading them to a temp file, but i cant say i have tryd it, since i have no reason for doing so ;)