Alpha Channel PNG's

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Alpha Channel PNG's

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#1]
If I create a PNG with alpha data to smooth out the edges, does BlitzMax correctly load the additional info?

I ask because Photoshop doesn't seem to like saving the extra alpha channel data, and so I can't yet test it. I understand Paintshop Pro 8 does.

I'm currently using a very small amount of alpha across each sprite so the sprites blend better with the background.

But some parts don't require smoothing and so lose sharpness - but other parts require a bit more as they apear a little jagged.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#2]
The blitzmax.png file in the samples is a good example of 32bit png. Try loading it into photoshop, modifying and saving as different name to test as it may be you just don't have your layers setup correctly to export 32 bit png's successfully.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#3]
I haven't had any problems with PNG's with transparancy created in photoshop and loaded in BlitzMax --- everything showed up correctly.

(Easy to test for yourself as well: Just create a small image with nothing but a black-to-transparent gradient fill, and save as PNG. Make sure to set blend mode to AlphaBlend in BlitzMax)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks - but what I meant was, using the alpha channel (in addition to the usual RGB channels) to paint either black, white or in between shades of grey to give varying amounts of smoothing.

But it turns out just using a transparent background and blurring the edges does the same thing.