The BlitzMax Wiki

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/The BlitzMax Wiki

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#1]
Todd Yandell has kindly offered to host a BlitzMax Wiki at http://www.blitzwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

Please feel free to contribute to this in anyway you can.

We have also decided to license the Blitz docs under a Creative Commons license - the "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike" license.

This license allows you to freely copy 'n' paste from the Blitz docs into the Wiki.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi Mark,
That's good news.
Will anybody be checking the wiki from BRL for mistakes and amendments.
For example, I notice that the wiki contains info on drawrect not having an 'unfilled' option. As it appears in the Wiki can we assume there will NEVER be an unfilled
option and we should use the polygon mode workaround?

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hi,

Will anybody be checking the wiki from BRL for mistakes and amendments.

Yes, time permitting.

As it appears in the Wiki can we assume there will NEVER be an unfilled
option and we should use the polygon mode workaround?

If there's a demand for something (and esp. if it's easy!) it'll probably get done eventually. This one's easy so look out for it soon.

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#4]
hopefully this aint a reason to let the "official" docs slip into being not updated

Wiebo(Posted 2005) [#5]
When it's online and complete you don't NEED the offical docs.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#6]
Wiebo, will it be available offline (i.e. on my PC) without an internet connection, with commands accessable using F1/F1?

skn3(Posted 2005) [#7]
To be honest, this wiki page is bad. Especialy for documentation. If its going to takeover the official docs then it is a pity :P. The main reason I say that, is just because of the layout. You have to click way too many times to get to the info you want. When you do get to it, there is no detailed listing of your selected section, and no proper linking to other sections. People dont want docs like that. At least I would have thought they didn't.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, it would have perhaps been a good idea to look at the way probably 95% of programs do help files. Oh well, I'm only ranting because I designed such a wiki based docs (with offline mode aswell) for blitz. But, well, I'll be usin it for my modules. So no big loss (plus I can use it on my computer, for bmax as it already has the entire bmax docs dumped into it!!)

Good luck.

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#8]
What I dont understand is why the BMax docs couldn't have been like the docs you got with B3D and BPlus.

kmac(Posted 2005) [#9]
I prefer flat documents with intelligent embedded links. Such documents can be easily printed and read without undue clicking. Simply scrolling and scanning makes for easier comprehension of what is available. It's like flipping through a book.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2005) [#10]
I think the Blitz Wiki is very nice ! There should be a script which permits to update the wiki from the BlitzMax commands and vice-versa (but I know that some guy is working on this).
Also, if BRL supports the wiki, a link to it should be present on this site (a wiki have to be visible to be updated by the community!)

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#11]
What I dont understand is why the BMax docs couldn't have been like the docs you got with B3D and BPlus.

One major difference is the modular design of blitzMax -- while B3D and B+ have a static command set that will be identical for everyone, BlitzMax has a potentially huge variety of modules installed, each of which have their own documentation that needs to be integrated.

A little trickier to do than the old way, where all help data was kept in a single place, and updated by a single person/company.

Each new moduilke you install can add bits and pieces to the help under blitzMax. Convenient, but it does mean an internally radically different help system is required to cope with that.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#12]
Hmm, not sure..as long as I can always double f1 to the latest docs on a function, i'm happy. If the wiki doesn't come in the way of that, i'll allow this.
otherwise..(Puts on leather gloves and 1970's micheal caine accent) it's gonna get messy, oh yes.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#13]
Its all very nice, but its not a substitute for proper documentation which is linked locally from the IDE. You cannot rely on users being online all the time every time they want to look something up.

Please don't let this be an excuse not to finish the official docs which, lets face it, still need a lot of work.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#14]
When it's online and complete you don't NEED the offical docs.

You most certainly do. It would be ridiculous to assume that every user is online all the time when coding.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#15]
You most certainly do. It would be ridiculous to assume that every user is online all the time when coding.

What? You guys sleep?!?!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#16]
I've just recently added a Bmax Errors page to the wiki, so whenever you encounter an error, you could document the cause and solution to it there.
*EDIT*
NOTE: for standard errors only, not bugs.

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#17]
Looks nice, but what the heck is a wiki? I was thinking for a second that Chewbacca was learning about BMax.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#18]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
In fact I thought it meant 'What I Know Is'

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#19]
So there's alot more to it, then an abreviation of wiki. Didnt realize there was so much history and such a cult following.

It all sounds so cool "What I know Is...", but shouldnt all this BMAX Stuff be posted at this site "BlitzBasic.Com"

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing what MAX can do differently to the other worlds and flavours of Blitz.

Bertrand(Posted 2005) [#20]
I just add Pixamp module informations and complete the Max2D functions. I just copy the original doc and add few examples. But i'm really surprise to don't see the number of wiki pages explode. I use Wiki since 1 year, and every time, a lot of informations are write everydays, but not in BlitzWiki! strange.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2005) [#21]
Yes, I saw your contribution!! Very nice!! That's true that people are not writing much in the wiki... What a pity! Come on BlitzMaxers!!
(I haven't BlitzMax now, so I can not participate for now...)

Bertrand(Posted 2005) [#22]
I just finish to complete the Blitz Runtime doc, and i add all Math, BlitzGL, StandardIO and LinkedList doc.
I also create french main page:
http://blitzwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page_fr

RepeatUntil(Posted 2005) [#23]
Excellent!! I think blitzwiki.org should have its link somewhere on the blitzmax site! Sticky post is not enough... (come on, webmaster).

Bertrand, how did you add all these entries? Have you a special script or do you do this by hand??

I see that you have added a french page: in the french forum (see french flag on this site), Neiji has already translated some wiki pages (but I don't think he puts them on the wiki)....

Bertrand(Posted 2005) [#24]
No RepeatUntil, i'm crazy and i enter everything by hand ;o)
For french page, i really want to see moving most of the people on Wiki, i know it's really the best for doc and even can replace a forum(in some cases), but i'm not sure that people understand that yet, so i prefere to setup pages and let people edit them.
Also, i wanted to know if it's possible to create a second Wiki only for french language, or other, coz even if we create french content, all the menu will stay in english, so...
For Neiji, he told me that he will put him translated pages on it, now that i have translate the How To Add New Pages, every body can do it.

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#25]
you might want to look into this wiki business, as the alphabetical sorting isnt what it should be. Two b's. no c's

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#26]
I contributed a page dedicated to listing the available alternative IDEs for BlitzMax.

http://www.blitzwiki.org/index.php/Alternative_IDEs

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#27]
I added a link to the Eclipse plugin by Brucey. I'm not sure why no one is using it. Everything works great and its cross platform.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2005) [#28]
Well, I didn't know it was released until now, so thanks for bringing it to my attention :-)!

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#29]
According Brucey's worklog he claims that he can compile and run the code from the IDE now, but I can't figure out how to do that for the life of me. :-)

Any hints, anyone?

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#30]
I don't see any screenshots of the IDE, and I'm not in the mood to download something only to find it's not what I'm looking for and now I have more clutter in my registry.

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#31]
It may indeed not be what your looking for, but its a great FREE alternative to the default IDE. Oh and it doesn't even use the registry.

Screenshot you want, screenshot you get:

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#32]
cool... where can i download extensions for eclipse... hm i need to install java :-/

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#33]
Now, if only anyone can give me some pointers on how to actually compile or run a blitz program with Eclipse, I would much appreciate it.

I don't remember it ever even asking me what folder BlitzMax was installed in?

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#34]
Its very simple:

1. Install the blitz plugin into the plugins folder
2. Restart Eclipse
3. Navigate to Window Menu>Preferences>BlitzMax Editor
4. Set the path to your Max folder
5. Create a new project (Make sure its a Blitz Max Project)
6. Create a new source file(It must have the .bmx extension)
7. Compile it!

I forgot when, but I think eclipse also asks you for a workspace folder somewhere as well.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#35]
Thanks!

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#36]
another editor:
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

you can confige some things... enable tabs, output-window, colors etc...
but it is a bit hard to create lexer-dll... i give up

but some other editors (i found 2 other, much better!) that use this richedit-engine... only a problem are new updates... :-/

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#37]
it'll be confusing if people with the Windows version of BMAX look for stuff in the Wiki with screenshots of the MAC Version and vicky verky.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#38]
they get everywhere don't they?
http://www.blitzwiki.org/index.php/Help:Contents

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#39]
is the wiki still being updated ?

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#40]
yes :) Take a look at the recent changes link

*(Posted 2005) [#41]
Brilliant wiki, cleared up loads of things for me regarding differences between Blitz3d/+ and BlitzMax :D. Also stopped me falling into cross-platform quagmires so I can now code for that too 8)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#42]
is it just me or is the site dead at the moment?

Koriolis(Posted 2005) [#43]
Looks dead indeed.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#44]
Any news from BRL as to when the *official* docs are likely to get updated?

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#45]
Does anybody know how to make an offline copy of the WIKI?

RiK(Posted 2005) [#46]
Bruce's page seems to be down, has been for a few days now (at least).

Anyone else hosting the Eclipse extensions?

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#47]
i've emailed them to you.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#48]
Thanks for that Jay,

I tried it and syntax highlighting seems to work ok but as you said in your email it doesn't seem to compile from Eclipse and hence you heed to revert to the Blitz IDE to compile which is all a bit clunky isn't it. As for Eclipse - a 115Mb download for an Editor! The mind boggles...

Diordna(Posted 2005) [#49]
Added a Lua tutorial.

Maybe now we can get back into actively updating it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#50]
someone has been rearranging the wiki, and have placed the beginners guide in the copyright section, does anyone know how this can be reverted?

deps(Posted 2005) [#51]
does anyone know how this can be reverted?

It's done.

quick-wiki-page-revert-howto:

* Go to the page you want to revert.
* Click "History"
* Find the version you want to revert to. (Click on it's date)
* You should now see the correct version.
* Edit that page. You will se a Warning at the top of the edit page. It's ok.
* Save the page.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#52]
quick-wiki-page-revert-howto:

ta :)

Todd(Posted 2005) [#53]
Hi deps,

I've put your instructions for reverting a page in the FAQ's in case it comes up again.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#54]
Add the wiki to your firefox search list:
Create a file called blitzwiki.src, put the following in it using notepad or another text editor.
# Mozilla search plugin for BlitzWIKI www.blitzwiki.org
# This file is released into the public domain.
#
# Version: 1.0.0
# Country: WW
# Language: en

<search
	version="1.0"
	name="BlitzWiki"
	description="English BlitzWiki"
	sourceTextEncoding="0"
	method="GET"
	action="http://www.blitzwiki.org/wiki/Special:Search"
	queryCharset="UTF-8"
	searchForm="http://www.blitzwiki.org/"
>

<input name="search" user>
<input name="fulltext" value="fulltext">
<input name="sourceid" value="mozilla-search">

<interpret
	browserResultType="result"
	charset="UTF-8"
	language="en"
	resultListStart="<div id='results'></div>"
	resultListEnd="<hr/>"
	resultItemStart="<li style='padding-bottom: 1em'>"
	resultItemEnd="</li>"
>

</search>

Put the image file above and the .src file in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins

--------------

to add it to Opera:
Open c:\documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\search.ini, at the end of it add (make sure the number in the braces is unique):

[Search Engine 33]
Name=BlitzWiki
URL=http://www.blitzwiki.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%s&fulltext=Search
Query=
Key=b
Is post=0
Has endseparator=0
Encoding=utf-8
Search Type=0
Verbtext=17063
Position=-1
Nameid=0

DannyD(Posted 2005) [#55]
Is blitzWiki still alive and operating ? The last time besides today it was updated was 11 months ago !!!!

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#56]
Yes. I just checked, and there have been several [a http://www.blitzwiki.org/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&hideminor=1&hideliu=0&hidebots=1&limit=50] recent changes[/a].

[Edit: posted this before seeing the other thread in BlitzMax Programming. Well, it won't hurt to have it in both places :) ]

N(Posted 2006) [#57]
If you don't mind my suggesting, how about we lock down the Blitz Wiki so that only registered users can modify it.

Removing spam can't possibly be fun, and I've been trying to keep it clean lately, so locking it down probably would be in the best interest of the maintainers.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#58]
It would be good to have it members only with signup verification as well.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2006) [#59]
I would like to see this too.

N(Posted 2006) [#60]
Bump. Is the guy who started the wiki dead or something?

simonh(Posted 2006) [#61]
Todd Yandell? Nope he's not dead, unless he died within the last hour.

Here's his profile: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Account/showuser.php?id=1893

N(Posted 2006) [#62]
It's completely possible.

N(Posted 2006) [#63]
Wiki. Lock. Need. Spam.. too.. much.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#64]
Me thinks this flag should be enabled :

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_allow_only_logged-in_users_to_edit.3F

and also, while at it... upgrade to the latest version...

and more...

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Setting_user_rights_in_MediaWiki#Configuring_access_restrictions_to_your_wiki

*anyone* ? ? ? ?

N(Posted 2006) [#65]
There are now two spam bots that are registered.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#66]
I use Wiki since 1 year, and every time, a lot of informations are write everydays, but not in BlitzWiki! strange.

Probably because one tends to spend most of the time removing SPAM from the wiki rather than adding new content.

Is it really worth my effort to document functions in more detail with examples?? I'm beginning to wonder...... :-(

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#67]
Yes Brucey, please keep it up. There's some of us that really appreciate practical examples to go along with the documentation. Already learned tons from the wiki.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#68]
Brucey, I think it was a brave thing to take on in the first place. I also think it meant BRL could offload the responsbility onto somebody else.
Just look at the 4th post down.

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#69]
Been looking at the updates the last couple dates, and added a bit myself. The spam is pretty bad - can't you just ban the IP's, and the wiki will automatically remove anything that's written from that IP?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#70]
I wouldn't think banning IP addresses will help much.
For a start, if you look at how many different IP addresses are actually appearing, it'll be *another* fulltime job adding to the list of those addresses (in conjunction with removing the pages and pages of spam that appear from all those addresses).

The only reliable solution will be to implement the methods mentioned previously. Those being,
* Only registered users can edit pages.
* Some kind of mail-validating registration process.

As it is, it looks like the wiki is almost to the point of flat-lining at the moment... a shame really, as it *could* be a very usual resource for information...

:-(

N(Posted 2006) [#71]
Wonder if Todd has any intention of doing something about all the spam and bots (as I said before, this has to be fixed such that only registered users can edit pages -- maybe add a captcha and e-mail validation for registration too).

Stellar(Posted 2006) [#72]
the wiki seem got hacked,there is a lot advertisement which cann't be edited

Red(Posted 2006) [#73]
O_o Its unreadable now.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#74]
Any links?

The few pages I just checked, looked fine to me.

N(Posted 2006) [#75]
http://www.blitzwiki.org/index.php/Alternative_IDEs

That's a good one.

Todd(Posted 2006) [#76]
Wonder if Todd has any intention of doing something about all the spam and bots (as I said before, this has to be fixed such that only registered users can edit pages -- maybe add a captcha and e-mail validation for registration too).

I've been busy with lots other things lately, and I unfortunately haven't been able to put much time into improving BlitzWiki. I do intend to fix the spam problem, but so far I haven't had much luck. I think the only real solution is to do everything you mentioned: required registration, captcha's, and email validation.

I'm also looking at using another Wiki engine. MediaWiki is too complex for what it does, it's too difficult for me to modify, and it's really not right for documenting a programming language and its API's anyway. MediaWiki was designed for creating an encyclopedia, where all of the pages would be independent. An API doesn't really work like that. For example, in an encyclopedia, the pages "Foo" and "Bar" would probably be unrelated. In an API, however, "Foo" might be a method of the "Bar" class. In other words, "Foo" would need to be a subpage of "Bar". That's not possible right now, but I think it's something that BlitzWiki really needs.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Or can anyone recommend a "hierarchical" Wiki? I'm really looking for something small and simple that I can build new features onto.

N(Posted 2006) [#77]
What do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Or can anyone recommend a "hierarchical" Wiki? I'm really looking for something small and simple that I can build new features onto.

I used DokuWiki for a time. It has a sort of namespace system wherein pages can be parented to the namespace. I'm not sure if you can have a namespace parented to a namespace, but I'd look at it.

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#78]
Todd,
Can we address the spam issue please. This much spam was added in 3 days:
3 Apr 2006
(diff) (hist) . . Documenting Functions; 21:31 . . 211.45.98.114 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 21:28 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Main Page fr; 21:28 . . 67.50.47.52 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Pages For Deletion; 21:23 . . 134.83.1.225 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 21:22 . . 200.118.2.219 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 17:43 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 17:38 . . 200.118.2.220 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . N JoyHit; 17:17 . . Squatting Neville (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 11:13 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 11:05 . . 202.86.196.9 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 07:58 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 07:50 . . 200.118.2.219 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 05:13 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Main Page fr; 05:05 . . 63.240.200.110 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Documenting Modules; 05:04 . . 193.194.64.112 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Pages For Deletion; 05:01 . . 81.57.109.99 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 04:59 . . 218.224.232.202 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Documenting Functions; 01:58 . . 63.241.58.84 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Main Page fr; 01:47 . . 202.86.196.9 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Documenting Modules; 01:44 . . 82.161.233.210 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 01:43 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Pages For Deletion; 01:39 . . 130.227.241.9 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 01:38 . . 194.68.63.142 (Talk)
2 Apr 2006
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 22:29 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 22:27 . . 80.249.72.179 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 19:58 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 19:34 . . 213.140.56.243 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 16:28 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Documenting Functions; 16:24 . . 195.70.62.51 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Main Page fr; 16:21 . . 219.171.176.139 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Documenting Modules; 16:19 . . 150.162.27.56 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Pages For Deletion; 16:17 . . 80.58.205.36 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 16:15 . . 200.118.2.219 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 13:28 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 13:25 . . 200.118.2.218 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 10:58 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 10:47 . . 63.240.200.110 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 08:28 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 08:14 . . 216.237.126.170 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 06:14 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 06:06 . . 195.70.62.51 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 03:43 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 03:40 . . 130.227.241.9 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Documenting Functions; 00:59 . . 195.70.62.51 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 00:58 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Main Page fr; 00:55 . . 212.182.119.173 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Documenting Modules; 00:53 . . 221.16.40.191 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Pages For Deletion; 00:51 . . 195.70.62.51 (Talk)
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 00:49 . . 200.118.2.219 (Talk)
1 Apr 2006
(diff) (hist) . . Alternative IDEs; 21:00 . . 72.36.202.42 (Talk)

Todd(Posted 2006) [#79]
DannyD,

The Recent Changes today listed over 300 changes to BlitzWiki, all of which were spam. I agree with you. It's definitely time to do something about it.

So for now, I've made BlitzWiki read-only. I'm working on reverting all of the spam edits back to the actual content, including all of the "Talk:" pages and everything else. Once all of the spam is gone I can focus on preventing more of it. Based on the rate of spam getting added now, it would have been impossible for any legitimate edits to get through.

I'm also looking at moving BlitzWiki into the wiki that Noel recommended, DokuWiki. I have a version of it installed and configured, and based on what I've seen so far, I think it would be a great alternative to MediaWiki.

(If anyone would like to help remove all of the spam from BlitzWiki, I could use the help. Just send an email to [a mailto:todd@blitzwiki.org]todd@...], and I'll send you the URL and a username and password to login to the writable BlitzWiki.)

Todd

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#80]
Why are the official docs so bad?

I think Mark will lose a lot of sales and people to another game development language because the docs are so patchy.

Why was this product released with half finished documentation?

I really think it will put a LOT of people off. The good thing about BLitz3d was the clear consise docs. Mark has left it to the community to do the documentation. I think this is very poor.

As a newcomer to Max I hit F1 and almost every time I get "no reference found".

SURELY THE DOCS SHOULD AT LEAST CONTAIN THE BRL STUFF?

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#81]
As a newcomer to Max I hit F1 and almost every time I get "no reference found".

The docs are bad but that sounds like a seperate problem.
Skid was talking about a doc update a couple of weeks ago with the possibility of adding a few user-written tutorials to the package. I still say BRL should hold a regular 'Document a command' competition with 'BRL-Miles' to the winner. The BRL-miles could be uses as a 'discount' against BRL products.

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#82]
That's strange. Almost every BMax command is listed in the docs and can be retrieved with F1. What is retreived might be sloppily written, but it's there. Either you don't have the docs properly installed or some bug has F1 not working properly on your system.
Do the keywords show up as a different color? If the keywords are being recognized properly, they'll appear in a different color, default yellow.
As for the docs being so poor to begin with, I think that's more of the fault of the people yelling, WHen will BMax be out? You promised it would be out 100 years ago! Release BMax!! Then Mark released a partial, poorly documented and buggy programming language. Since then, the docs have been improved a bit, most of the bugs taken care of, and a few other enhancements made like automatic garbage collection, but it really still isn't a finished program.
I don't have any problems with that since when I bought BMax, I knew it wasn't complete and still needed work. I decided to take a chance and buy it anyway. I have no regrets for it, it was cheap compared to other languages and did most of what I wanted it to. But if you were coming from B3D and you were under the impression that BMax was a whole and complete programming language, I'd guess you'd be disappointed. Maybe Mark should put on the products page that BMax is still being developed so people will know before putting out the money.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#83]
TomToad,

do you have "GrabPixmap" in your docs?

And "KEY_F1"

Well?

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#84]
do you have "GrabPixmap" in your docs?

I do!
And "KEY_F1"

and that.

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#85]
I put the cursor on "GrabPixmap" and press F1 once, I get the function on the bottom status line. I press F1 a second time and the docs open up to the GrabPixmap entry in the docs.

pressing F1 on "KEY_F1" doesn't bring up any docs, but pressing F1 on "KeyHit" and "KeyDown" brings up its entry and there's a link to the part of the docs with the keycodes listed.
Function KeyDown( key )
Returns True if key is currently down.
Description Check for key state.
Information See the KeyCodes docs for a list of valid keycodes.

Clicking on the word "KeyCodes" brings me to
Key codes
The key codes module contains a list of constants representing numeric codes for keys, modifiers and mouse buttons.

Which then lists all the KeyCode macros, including KEY_F1.

Russell(Posted 2006) [#86]
The reason KEY_F1 doesn't jump directly to any section in the docs is because it is not a command at all, but a built-in constant. This is not to say that it wouldn't make sense to actually jump to the Keycodes section, however.

It's true that most of the commands can be jumped to by hitting F1 twice, but what is listed there is not always helpful. For example, SuperStrict comes up with "Set SuperStrict mode". Really helpful, don't you think? Or SetButtonState(): "Set a button gadget's state" with no examples of the possible values or what they would mean.

Granted, the docs have improved a bit since BMax was initially released, but they still have a long way to go, IMHO.

The BlitzWiki is not too bad (though unfinished), but there doesn't seem to be a way to download the whole thing as a file, which is odd, since that would be an ideal situation, especially if the F1-F1 behaviour could also be incorporated.

Any ideas, thoughts on this?

Russell

IKG(Posted 2006) [#87]
This wiki hardly gets updated anymore :(

By the way, here's something I spotted early this morning: http://blitzwiki.org/index.php/TPixmap

Yan(Posted 2006) [#88]
The Wiki's been in a frozen (read only) state for three months.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#89]
Why's that?

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#90]
I think the link you posted is a bit of a clue.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#91]
Not to mention...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43299#652472

;o)

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#92]
Wikis can operate successfully even in the spam age. Todd, there is no reason to lock the wiki if suitable anti spam modifications are made. I can assist you if needed. I've sent you and email, please get back to me :)

Database locked
The database is currently locked to new entries and other modifications, probably for routine database maintenance, after which it will be back to normal. The administrator who locked it offered this explanation:
Due to the overwhelming amount of spam posted to BlitzWiki recently, all editing on BlitzWiki is currently disabled. This is only a temporary solution until I find a better method of filtering out all the spam. Of course, you can still browse the entire wiki, and all other features should still be available. If you have any questions, please send me an email.

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#93]
Got an email back but no eta as to when the wik will reopen with the modifications :(

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#94]
Any update ?

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#95]
Hello!

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#96]
Todd,
Seriously ! Any news. How about appointing voulenteers to do the work if you don't have time!

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#97]
It's better to have no wiki than the current neglected wiki.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#98]
Yeah really, how annoying. No point of a wiki if you can't edit/add to it.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#99]
The wiki is like the state of all community projects around here. Apathy and lack of "free time" kills them.

Yes, I lack the free time just like everyone else, but I've never volunteered either. It's worse when people say they are going to do something and nothing ever happens.

pgames(Posted 2006) [#100]
This post really should be un-stickied, at least until the wiki is useful again.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#101]
Looks like a new wiki is on the way. Maybe it'll cause me to come back to Bmax.

degac(Posted 2006) [#102]
I would like the return of BlitzWiki! Any ETA?
This is a real shame...what we need for its return? what help can I offer (if necessary)?

I know of the spam problem, but I think at this point it should be limited (at last). I'm not a wiki-expert, but there should be some system to limit the possibilities to write/change/modify the content: at last create some 'supervisors' to check if the modify is valid or not (I know this is contrary to the wiki-spirit and web2.0-blabla...but if the choice is between to have or not to have blitzwiki....)

Please give me (and to the other) an aswers.
Byez
(PS: happy new year!)

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#103]
Yes, good question, what about the Wiki? It seems to be down completely??
(PS: happy new year in 1:30h too :))

Todd(Posted 2007) [#104]
Yes, it is down completely now. The hard drive in the server that BlitzWiki runs on died, and I'm working on getting all of the sites it hosted back up. There are about thirty sites on that server. Luckily I was able to back everything up, but it's still going to require a lot of work to get it back to normal.

The good news is that I'll have to install a new version of MediaWiki to get the site running again, and the newer versions have better support for spam blocking. It should hopefully prevent that problem.

I know of the spam problem, but I think at this point it should be limited (at last).

Believe it or not, there are still (even with the wiki down), thousands of requests per day that try to post spam to the wiki. They haven't been able to actually write to the wiki for months, but they keep trying. They've even figured out the Alert form that I set up on the preview page, and I get spam through that too. It's still definitely a problem.

I'm still working on the new wiki, although I don't have an estimated date when it will be ready. I've got a lot of other work to do too. At some point I'll be adding some more information and some screenshots to the preview page, and I plan to do a closed beta test program when it's near to release time.

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#105]
Hi Todd, that is great news...and sad news too... it makes me angry to see that there are so many idiots trying to destroy instead of helping to build. Keep it up!

degac(Posted 2007) [#106]
Thanks for the answer! Good luck!

PS: can you insert a 'catchpa' system (the classic 'number' to copy manually from an image...) to limit the access?

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2007) [#107]
Why not to restore newest more-less working read-only (or changeable for some thrusted people) version? It's annoying to see an information of a bunch of interesting projects hosted there is unaccessible.

MikeT(Posted 2007) [#108]
I agree a read only interim version would be great. I'm trying to learn BlitzMax at the min so all resources are much appreciated

verfum(Posted 2007) [#109]
Try the Google cache

IKG(Posted 2007) [#110]
Can someone PLEASE put up the old wiki again?

DirtBikeDude(Posted 2007) [#111]
Yes, I too would like to see the old wiki up too.

Verfum, searching the wiki with google cache is too teadius.

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#112]
How we doing on this? I am itching for a BlitzMax wiki...

degac(Posted 2007) [#113]
this is my contribution
www.graphio.net/20/index.php
It's in BETA, but it works
It has ALL the descriptions readed directly from the modules (about: bbdoc: keyword: and so on...).
It offers different kind of search:
- in command (default)
- in description
- in type
- in all the field
- in tag

Registered users can:
- add/edit/delete comments to every single commands
- add tags

(registration is due only to limit spam - no other obscure intent)

All the users can:
- use the engine;
- vote every single comment to 'validate' it;

WIP:

- add all the general documentation (arrays, variables, functions... - copied directly from the BlitzMax IDE Help);
- translation for offering a online-manual in other languages;
- add the possibility to add/edit new command to the db (I'm thinking to create different profile for users: normal, editor and admin; only editor and admin can have access to all the db;
- offer the possibility to save the database;

* PS: this is a BETA! I'm working on it, so data can be lost in any moment!!!!

Of course I'm waiting an official answer by BRL in the case it's contrary to BRL goal/plan.

Please give it a try!
Comments and critics are welcome

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#114]
Any word on an official wiki?

The wiki doesn't just have to be for docs, it could also serve as a good place to put tutorials and longer articles...

Otus(Posted 2007) [#115]
It doesn't even have to be official. If someone can create a wiki for BlitzMax, and copy the docs there for a start I'd be happy.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2007) [#116]
OK if Wikies arn't spam proof, why not a new forum, with all the commands listed as a separate message... no new thread creation outside child posts. This would allow users to add info, tips and lots of examples. A simple template could be written up to keep it all in order...

I would volunteer to moderate it and provide an off-line version?

mothmanbr(Posted 2007) [#117]
I still prefer a wiki, they are way more versatile.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#118]
... or add Blitzmax to the Manuals and we can add examples/corrections etc as we do for B+ and B3D.

plash(Posted 2007) [#119]
I like tonyg's idea..

Ian Thompson(Posted 2007) [#120]
"I still prefer a wiki, they are way more versatile. "

Due to spam and hardware failure this one seems to be dead... my idea would at least be simple and easy to add to the current forum structure.

mothmanbr(Posted 2007) [#121]
Well Blitz Research could easily install a wiki script, and could always make that only people who purchased blitzmax are allowed to edit and add pages.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2007) [#122]
Thinking about it, TonyG maybe onto something... but is this something BRL is willing to have a look into?

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#123]
When wiki will be availible?

Ian Thompson(Posted 2007) [#124]
This is a nice secure one... http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Dabz(Posted 2007) [#125]

Well Blitz Research could easily install a wiki script, and could always make that only people who purchased blitzmax are allowed to edit and add pages.

Over at syntaxbomb.com we are on the case in creating something like this, and not just a wiki either, we hopefully will have a fully editable online version of the docs, where members can add examples to functions etc etc (As Tony mentioned)

More news soon

Dabz

Otus(Posted 2007) [#126]
There is a wikibook at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/BlitzMax but it's very incomplete.

CASO(Posted 2007) [#127]
So...Is the BlitzMax Wiki still underdevelopment or did they give up?

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#128]
Work on it is slow. I haven't been using BMax lately so I don't really have the day-to-day experiences to add content. Real busy so it's hard to even just bang out module references.

Anyone is free to edit the book and add new modules. The structure's pretty straight forward.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#129]
When will this be online?

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2007) [#130]
If anybody interested in making BlitzMax wiki, I can provide wikihosting (MediaWiki engine with extensions such as code highlighting). Maybe it'll be good then to transfer old wiki's pages to new one if they're not lost. Write to MattMerk@... or knock in ICQ 392-274-050.

Blueapples(Posted 2008) [#131]
Wikibook is online now. I strongly recommend that people start editing it. It isn't going anywhere, we don't have to rely on someone providing hosting, it's free, and there are no ads. Really, I don't think there's a better solution available. Just start using it people!

plash(Posted 2008) [#132]
What link is it at now?

tin(Posted 2008) [#133]
it's no more working and expired i think

plash(Posted 2008) [#134]
Any ideas why it closed down?
It would be awesome if it came back, I would certainly contribute.

plash(Posted 2008) [#135]
No one knows?

Ian Thompson(Posted 2008) [#136]
Does anyone know where the data for this wiki is? We could at least start a new one, this has been dead for over a year?

plash(Posted 2008) [#137]
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/BlitzMax

We should be able to add anything we want there right?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#138]
Go crazy:
http://www.blitzmax.org

The hosting will provide plenty of bandwidth. The hosting and domain registration aren't free. If you would like to help offset the costs, a donation would be appreciated.