Learning from the Samples

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Learning from the Samples

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#1]
I don't know if this is problematic to anyone else, but I'm having a hard time learning BlitzMax (and already knowing BlitzPlus and Blitz3D/2D) even with the samples provided. All the examples are demos that demonstrate a variety of things which make them not 100% straight-forward.

What I would find most helpful would be simplistic code samples that do nothing but maybe draw an image on the screen or load a tiled background and scroll it. Once I get to know the syntax better, I'll be able to take on the samples already provided.

My current solution to the problem: Learn the language of the Max, earn its trust, breed with its women, and in time our differences will be forgotten. This won't get me anywhere...

Why0Why(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm with you. I haven't found the samples incredibly helpful. I have decided to just start the basics from scratch using the command reference and try to figure out the rest. Maybe I should write some tutorials as I do this.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
keep your eye on the BlitzWiki new samples/examples will continue to appear there.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#4]
The main thing I did with the samples was compile and run them... to get a sense of what BlitzMax can do more than anything. But I think if you are a beginner then you do certainly need some clear and simple examples.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#5]
yeah I'm with everyone else, sampled jump in the deep end and show you all the new features mostly all at once.

I'd prefer something that gets progressively more complex. like moving a image around the screen. making the ship shoot, and stuff shoot, then collisions. and build it up with some OOP examples of how to improve the code.

Stuff like that.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#6]
If someone who already has a good understanding of BMax could get on their ass and tap up some simple source codes, I'd be very greatful.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#7]
* bot_builder gets on his ass
<bot_builder> o.0

ok, ok should be pretty quick job

small pack of stuff:

http://blitzstuff.250free.com/zips/UsingImages.zip

they look big but that's just the comments :)

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#8]
Just saw your zip, at a glance I some useful stuff in there :). Didn't know about automidhandle, and havent tried the import for small exe's before.

Going to have to go through your examples properly tonight, thanks man.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#9]
This is perfect. Thanks a million, botty!

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#10]
Hi Bot_builder,
Thanks for these. Everything helps.
Outside of the tutorial would you use SetTransform rather than the SetRotate and SetScale?
Max2d shows they do the same thing so I don't know whether there's a time difference.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#11]
Welcome :)

There is probably a time difference... For one thing function calling overhead. SetRotate and SetScale each likely generate a matrix, requireing that they are multiplied together while transform only creates one. The only appicable examples are crazy and transformations though.

767pilot(Posted 2006) [#12]
Bot Builder,

many thanks for the files, Ive learnt a lot about basic image handling now!

Regards
Graham