OpenGl Redbook/Bluebook.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/OpenGl Redbook/Bluebook.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#1]
The OpenGl 1.1 Programming Guide and Programming Reference are available online.
How useful would they be in BlitzMax Programming or should I be checking for the 1.2+ versions?

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#2]
They're very useful. All the subsequent versions just build on 1.0. All the basics will be covered by the online Red Book.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
Put they won't be that useful to a beginner. You don't need them.

I only say this cos you posted in the beginner area.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#4]
I found them to be a great way to learn how OpenGL works, what it does and how it does it, definitely worth reading if you are thinking of doing something in OpenGL directly yourself at some stage, or otherwise at least gives you a better understanding of what BlitzMax's 2D stuff is based on. For a beginner you're better off using the built-in BlitzMax 2D commands, but otherwise those are definitely good resources. All versions of OpenGL are backwards compatible so it is definitely useful. Would be good to find out what the 1.2 changes/additions are.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#5]
I've gotten the rundown on the books from the #opengl people on freenode, and its basically like this:

<Tutorial-Like---------------------------------Reference Book>
| | |
OpenGL superbible 3rd revision Red Book Blue Book

Personally, i prefer the more tutorial like version, and anyway, the other two are free.

As for if its useful, well, depends on what you want to do. Many BlitzMax users are currently making 3d engines, and it is likely one (dunno which) will become the engine of choice. Until then, if you want you can use raw openGL. Of course, there is always BRL's official 3d module on the horizon ;P

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks for the replies.
How useful will learning OpenGl be for getting the most out of BlitzMax? Isn't the native glmax command set a bit limited?
I'm seeing some fantastic demos and output (nehe tutorials, the lighting threads, 3D engines etc) and, basically, I like to have a dabble at it.
I'm not a beginner to programming (although I wouldn't call myself a programmer) so I understand it won't be a trivial task.
<edit> Bot Builder, just seen your update. I guess I'm talking about rawgl then if that's what's accessable through the glmax commands.
I saw the bible although I'm going to be checking the Nehe tutorials first.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#7]
Best way to start into OpenGL for me is for sure Nehe and after that extending the knowledge using online ressources and the red - blue books as well the official OGL 1.4, 1.5, 2.0 specs :)

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#8]
Put it this way, if you come prepared with some OpenGL knowledge, the Max2D library makes sense :)

OpenGL's fun to learn anyway, and there's never been an easier language to dabble with OpenGL.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#9]
Naturally if you're taking a look at the NeHe tutorials, take a look at Extron's thread in the ... Showcase? Or Tutorial forum...

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yep, if it wasn't for those tutorials with the Blitzmax code (plus PaulJg's new OpenGl tutorials) I wouldn't even have be attempting it.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#11]
I will post some tutorials as soon as I learn it. off to buy some books...