Not Got a Mac Yet?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Not Got a Mac Yet?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#1]
If you're currently a PC user and think it might be nice to have a Mac for your Mac ports, perhaps this is what you need.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Just add a KVM, put it on the desk next to the PC and off you go.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#2]
clever isn't it?

Whats needed now is a special device to switch between monitor and mouse/keyboard. This means at a flick of a switch you can go between pc and mac. etc.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Beat you to it ;)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=42618

oh, and mephitis...
Whats needed now is a special device to switch between monitor and mouse/keyboard

Go google for "KVM" ;)

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#4]
This means at a flick of a switch you can go between pc and mac. etc.

I've seen some KVM's that don't even need that, but can be controlled by some keyboard shortcuts, like CTRL-ALT-SHIFT to switch from one system to the other.

TeaVirus(Posted 2005) [#5]
I never thought I'd be saying this but I just ordered a Mac. =) This is perferct, tiny footprint and more than enough power for what I need.

Panno(Posted 2005) [#6]
is the minimac power enough for bmax ?
is somebody know this (please real tests) please write here

Warren(Posted 2005) [#7]
It's got higher specs than my iBook and the iBook runs everything just fine.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
I would say the minimac definately has enough power to run BlitzMax programs well. It has a slightly faster CPU than our iMac which is plenty capable of throwing around over 1000 128x128 sprites in high resolution at a smooth framerate.

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#9]
The Mini Mac 1.25 is roughly equivalent to a 1.8-2GHz P4 or something like that. The 32MB Radeon 9200 card is more than powerful enough too. It'd be able to run Half Life 2 well enough if, er, Half Life 2 was out for the Mac. That's a lot of bang for your buck :)

TeaVirus(Posted 2005) [#10]
Exactly. The "bang for your buck" factor made it irresistable to me.

flaith(Posted 2005) [#11]
may be i'm going to buy a g4 or g5 from eBay

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#12]
Don't think it's that fast when you consider a 2Ghz G5 is roughly the same speed as a athlon64 2GHz (true speed not marked up speed). G5 and athlon64 are not that much faster than a 3ghz P4 about 50% faster at the same clock speed.
Still way better than my current system. Shame none of the essential software I need is avaliable for Mac except Photoshop.