To any IDE writers...like to help?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/To any IDE writers...like to help?

Takuan(Posted 2005) [#1]
This may sound like a stupid idea but i always missed it and i would contribute it for free (cheaper then most girlfriends). But not with source (not sure).

What i would need:
Lets say in your IDE your cursor is at line 8000 in function func(), method super_meth().
Now you click a button and this data is saved in a plain .txt file and a user defined .exe is triggered.

What i would like to write:
That .exe let a window pop up and the tools within will let you create a diagram.
In each diagram "box" you could write something like a to do list, function description, variable description etc.
Because i can read out in what function or line the cursor was, the "box" which you are actualy working on is centered.

Sounds useless in a 2000 line code,
but dealing with a good amount of objects and many lines, it could be quiet handy to see your codes structure in diagram form and quickly get relevant informations. Handy for planning Black Box structures etc.

Would be a nice exercise to get warm with BMax for me and maybe a nice add on for your IDE.
Shouldnt be much work to get some IDE Data in a .txt file.

And no, english isnt my native language.
And no, i will not write a full IDE myself.
And no, i dont regret. Didnt know where to post else and at least i am new to BMax;-)

If anyone should be interested, send me a mail.
Notice, it would be a spare time project, so i would keep things simple at beginning.

By the way, taking a look at B3D Forum, B3D is strong as it is because its excellent community. Wonder why there is no "general topics" and other stuff to let poeple interact a little more;-)

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#2]
Seen Eclipse?

Wonder why there is no "general topics" and other stuff to let poeple interact a little more;-)
There is. Interaction however doesn't seem to be its strong point.

Takuan(Posted 2005) [#3]
If Mr. Silbley would create his IDE a little more open, with options to acces data like cursor position etc. (via running Bmax programm). It would be easy to enhance it, until it fits your needs.
That should take him 10 minutes.
And more interesting it would get if you could write into the IDE via a running BMax programm.
That would take a little more time i guess.

Thnx, never heard about eclipse.

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#4]
i would love to see virtual-includes

this is something like old QB-system. In QB, you can always see only 1 function - all other functions are invisible. this system was very nice, because, your eyes don't read so many code - and you can write code and 'relax'

Virtual includes are something like this. You have only one source file (not a project file!) - you can add unlimited amount of "modules" to your source and manage this in a tree-list.

all virtual modules should stored in only one file. Only very simply informations should added to your file...

example file:

'<creator="MrCredo">
'<program="Magic Game">
'<version="0.1 Beta">
'<description>
'</description>

'<module "Gui" depth="1">
...sourcecode...

'<module "Window" depth="2">
...sourcecode...
'</module>

'<module "Button" depth="2">