Back to Roots :P

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Back to Roots :P

Num3(Posted 2004) [#1]
First post here, so don't get hard on me :P

I'm no newbie to Blitz, i used it over 8 years ago when it came out for Amiga. I then went into the PC world and used several other programming languages, but the *old* Amiga compiler coders are still here, and i'm back programming with their compilers.

Special greetz to Mark Sibly and Hitoro, just two of the guys i remeber from the Blitz Mailing List days.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#2]
Respect to the Amiga crew!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#3]
Amen, and welcome back.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#4]
So, who did you used to be, Num3? =]

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ah, blitz-list@..., I wonder if it still exists?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#6]
Oh for the days of the blitzlist!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hi Rob! What you up to these days project-wise?

I still have that blitz-list address memorized, lol

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yeah, I managed to pull it out of my head without having to think about it, it seems everyone that entered that list has it memorised, must have had to type it a lot (no address type-ahead in YAM I guess??)

Daniel? Who were you? God knows what I called myself in those days, Probably Loki.

I'm working (far too :)) hard on Protean IDE these days..

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#9]
Loki!!! This is Paul West, author of that Mildred graphics library.

Good to see you again.

Weren't you working on some kind of worm's clone at some point? Or was that someone else?

Num3(Posted 2004) [#10]
I used to go by the name of gRiM. I was the guy that programmed AFM - Aminet FTP by Email in Blitz for YAM.

I remember Rob, if i'm not mistaken you where involved in the "Minimal Safe Distance" game with Loki.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and you can check my site over at http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/rui_carvalho/ for more info about me.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#11]
I don't remember the name gRiM, but I do remember Rui Carvalho -- welcome back!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yah, Minimal Safe Distance, whatever happened to that?

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#13]
I remember Rob, if i'm not mistaken you where involved in the "Minimal Safe Distance" game with Loki.

Lol. He just said he -is- Loki =]

Yah, Minimal Safe Distance, whatever happened to that?

It died, of course ;]

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#14]
Hey Num3.. welcome.. :)
I just remembered you from the PB forums.. :p

(I'm a bit slow today.. go figure.. hehe)

puki(Posted 2005) [#15]
I loved the 'Blitz Mailing List' days - I actually got really excited when my floppy disks came through the post with upgrades and demos and stuff. Still have my printed magazine booklet things - still have all the disks in fact.

I might even ressurect the old Amiga Blitz on my PC via an emulator and relive the 'gadget box' days.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#16]
You guys recognize any of these Amiga Blitz II contributors?
http://www.config.freeuk.com/amiga/blitz/progs/index.htm

Ah, the days of Blitz User Magazine (BUM)

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#17]
Geepers... It's almost like stepping back in time... ;-)

http://blitz-2000.david-mcminn.co.uk/archives/mildred/

;Horizontal Starfield with SineWave Logo
;
;Programmed by : Bruce Henderson (BaH) 07.03.1999

; Includes segments of code by
; Mikkel Loekke, aka. FlameDuck,
; (explosion & sine demo)
; and Paul West (for Particle changes in Explosion demo)

; Runs at 25fps on 060/50

; Modified by Paul West on 20.03.1999 to use OffsetList with MScroll

It *is* nice to be in such good company...

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2005) [#18]
Minimum Safe Distance. Yeah, that was Me, Simon Hitchen (of UFO - Enemy Unclothed fame), David McMinn, Rob Kihl and Toby Zuydveld. We never finished the Amiga version, the amiga was practically dead and buried when we started on it. I also wrote that TCP/IP lib: http://blitz-2000.david-mcminn.co.uk/archives/libraries/tcp.html , Not that you'd know it though :(.

Toby was doing a port to the PC at one point. Not entirely sure what's happening with that. Toby?

Nice to see you all back/around, Paul, Rui, Brucey.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#19]
So what happened to the Amiga version, it got ditched and is no more?

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2005) [#20]
David Posted an old version here:
http://www.david-mcminn.co.uk/

God knows if it works ;) - But yeah... dead - 5 years ago ;)

wedoe(Posted 2005) [#21]
So what happened to the Amiga version, it got ditched and is no more?
Amiga is pretty dead too, sorry ! Some TV-companies (and a handful of diehard fans) still uses Amiga tho.....

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#22]
Toby was doing a port to the PC at one point. Not entirely sure what's happening with that. Toby?

Shhh. It's supposed to be a secret =]

To cut a long story short, I have big plans for the game and no time to do it. Natch.

The PC version reached just a little beyond the point as the old Miggy version did... Been through about 3 rewrites and probably another one in BMax when I get the time =]

David Posted an old version here:

I believe that's pretty much the most recent version I've seen. For the Miggy.

Some TV-companies (and a handful of diehard fans) still uses Amiga tho.....

Yeh with PPCs and OS4 and... last time I checked whoever owned the name was trying to do something that vaguely didn't resemble anything to do with Amiga at all.

puki(Posted 2005) [#23]
The problem for me was I only went on-line in September 2003 - so I missed a lot of the glory days of the Amiga. I updated B3D 2 years after I had bought the retail version. People told me for years to get the internet and I kept saying 'no, I don't need it'. Now I know I was missing out on all the fun - sniff.