arrays in blitzmax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/arrays in blitzmax

MattC(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi, I'm totally new to blitzmax.

I need to resize a couple of arrays but the changes from blitz3d have confused me. Is everything automatic with arrays now? I can't find any useful information about them in the docs.

Could someone please do a quick example of a 1-D array, a 2-D one, and how to resize them?

I'm used to something like this:

DIM array1%(100)
DIM array2%(100,100)

Then to resize them at a later point I'd just DIM them again. Or is my memory playing tricks?

I have managed to create 1D arrays which are doing the job, but a resizeable 2D one would be ideal.

thanks in advance

AaronK(Posted 2004) [#2]
This should do what you're after

Local a:Byte[100,100]

a = New Byte[50,50]

The old array is free'd and the memory for it released when you next call FlushMem

Aaron

MattC(Posted 2004) [#3]
That's exactly what I needed, thanks. Simple :)

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#4]
If you want to extend an array, keeping the contents of it, you can do it this way:

Local MyArray:Int[20, 50]

MyArray = MyArray[.. 21, .. 51]

This way, the "slice" operator (..) extends the array to have one more field in each dimension, and the array is stored in the same variable that previously handled it.

MattC(Posted 2004) [#5]
That's handy, no need to back up the contents before resizing.
From what I've read so far about slices, i looks like you could add or remove elements at either end of the array without losing data.

I don't need it just now but I've a lot of Blitz3d code that would have benefitted from that ability.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#6]
I've always wondered why the slice thingy uses the same symbol ".." as the line break thingy... just seems a bit... odd.