3rd party 3d engines

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/3rd party 3d engines

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#1]
Anyone managed to get irrlicht/ogre/glscene/etc going in blitzmax yet?

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#2]
No, mainly due to the poor support for dll's. Ok, BMX allows you to code modules in C directly, but what happens if you don't have the source of these libraries and only a .dll? AFAIK the only way to call dll functions right now is by using the WinAPI. That completely sucks for a multiplatform programming language.

There should be a way to define functions which are in external dlls inside .bmx, so you can create modules that can call functions from these dlls.

xacto(Posted 2004) [#3]
You need to write wrapper functions in C and use the Extern/End Extern construct in BMX to import your wrapper functions. If you review brl.freeaudioaudio and pub.freeaudio you'll see how BRL does this with FreeAudio.

No, it isn't pretty and certainly not as simple as what Mark had come up with for Blitz3D/Plus. I'd make a guess this approach was adopted due to the cross platform nature of BMX.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ok, BMX allows you to code modules in C directly, but what happens if you don't have the source of these libraries and only a .dll? AFAIK the only way to call dll functions right now is by using the WinAPI. That completely sucks for a multiplatform programming language.

Uhh, you realise of course that .dll's are a Windows only thing anyway, right? ;]

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#5]
Some people only want their project to be run on winders... some may only want their project to run on macs... Having some platform dependence shouldn't stop someone from doing something.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hm, bit of a pain then.

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#7]
Having some platform dependence shouldn't stop someone from doing something.
True, but read Jedives post again.
AFAIK the only way to call dll functions right now is by using the WinAPI. That completely sucks for a multiplatform programming language.
Well yes, using something that's exclusive to Windows is going to 'suck' if you wanted to do a multiplatform version.

I was under the impression that Ogre3D was OpenSource?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#8]
I was under the impression that Ogre3D was OpenSource?

Yup. Irrlicht and GLScene are too. All Irlicht SDK downloads seem to include full engine source.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#9]
Some people only want their project to be run on winders... some may only want their project to run on macs... Having some platform dependence shouldn't stop someone from doing something.

No, but in the same line he went on to say
That completely sucks for a multiplatform programming language.
Which threw me a bit =]