Totorials section.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Totorials section.

Amon_old(Posted 2004) [#1]
Can we have a Tutorials section for the BlitzMax fora please?

I'm hoping somebody will do an OOP tutorial that shows the basics of it because at the moment I have no clue how to write OOP code. It just seems more difficult then using standard Procedural programming. Methinks anyway.

Hope to see a tutorial section soon.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nice idea. I thought Mark's ( I think? ) introduction to OOP in the docs was nicely handled, but Max introduces a whole load of new issues. As we've just been discussing on IRC, the need to limit state changes, is another example. The module system, using external libraries. There's lots of new stuff to explore here, and a tutorials section to share learning is a great idea.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#3]
Tutorials/articles section would be great

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#4]
For sure. There are a lot of people really learning their way around BMax -fast-. They need a very accessible central location to share all their wonderful ideas =]

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#5]
Mark fails to understand how shocking blitzmax is as a language - even to people like me who have used blitz since amiga days.

Blitzmax is a hugely complex beast and the documentation is very much an afterthought.

I would love a tutorials section.

Even C looks simpler in some cases! This is not having a go, but I feel the lack of step by step tutorials like nehe is doing max no favours.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#6]
I am having similar problems, check out my input post. I've had some success by trying the other blitz language solutions, and searching the BC and BB forums.

But for a complete beginner the documentation assumes your a programmer of some experience. I'd very much like a tutorials section too.

Diordna(Posted 2004) [#7]
I will write a beginner tutorial when I get some time.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#8]
OO stuff would be welcome, nice and slow ...

bradford6(Posted 2004) [#9]
Would it be possible to ban user Skunk. He/she has been a constant source of flame and agony for many aspiring Blitzmax users...

all in favor say "aye"!

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#10]
What the hell? He/she was pretty annoying for the first day or two sure, but they've calmed down since (a bit anyway) and I can certainly find no fault with what he's posted here?!?

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#11]
didn't bother me either, skunk seems like your average enthused bmax user, and whatever critisisms he made seemed like genuine concern even if a tad annoying at times .

innerspace(Posted 2004) [#12]
Com'on guys, give it a break.. the software has been barely available for a month yet, it takes time to cook a cake, it takes time to do anything, and no mount of your negative critisisms is doing anyone any favors, I'm sure this time next year you'll be more concerned with other issuse.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#13]
Well, no more complaining, a Tutorial section is up (that was quick:) and Mark has started it off with an OO introduction type thingy!