Terrain sample

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Terrain sample

zeedoktor(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all,

I just purchased BlitzMax and am trying to create a terrain. Are there any built in terrain functions that would make that easier? i.e. a bitmap that creates the heights, another for texture etc.?

Thanks

- Balt

skn3(Posted 2004) [#2]
Blitzmax doesn't have a 3d engine at the moment. Yould have to create your own, wait for the 3d module to be completed or use an existing 3d engine that can import heightmaps.

Richard Betson(Posted 2004) [#3]
Or... you could do it in OpenGL:)

L8r,

zeedoktor(Posted 2004) [#4]
I need to do it in opengl anyway because i need some pretty advanced fog stuff. Any tutorials anywhere on how to do that with opengl?

Richard Betson(Posted 2004) [#5]
If I come acroos any I'll post'em.. But a Google search might render some examples. BTW.. OpenGL Rocks!. I'm learning it now, but I like what I see :)

L8r,

zeedoktor(Posted 2004) [#6]
Did you get the two standard books, the red book and the blue book? They are extremely well written, albeit for C. But the samples should work just fine, although the official GL version out is 1.4 (blitzus supports 1.2)

Richard Betson(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yes.. I have the online versions and some other tutorials. Very useful.;)

L8r,

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#8]
I'm reading the OpenGl docs as well at the moment, interesting reading!

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#9]
best tuts are http://nehe.gamedev.net anyway ... at least out of my sight :)

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#10]
See if you can get some ideas from these tutorials...
http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg4.htm

Drago(Posted 2004) [#11]
I have a quadtree based terrain if people bug me enough I may convert into BlitzMax. ;)

and Nehe, and GameDev's tutorials are good too :)
I already have some converted of Nehe's to blitz+ (Back when I made my OpenGL thing for it). so they shouldn't be too hard to shove in bmax.

zeedoktor(Posted 2004) [#12]
Drago, that would be really interesting to see! (bug bug bug...) ;)