XCoded needed to run compiled application?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/XCoded needed to run compiled application?

MRaven(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

just a quick question. Does people need to have XCoder Tools installed to run a compiled program? Like the MS Framework stuff?

Don't hope so.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#2]
No

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#3]
Just to compile the program, after that it is standalone.

MRaven(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks... :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#5]
Good job too since it's a 1.5GB install! :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#6]
Actually it's not that big if you dont install the documentation and a bunch of other modules that are mainly for cross compiling between different versions of maxos and so on.

I got away with 3 modules.

eni(Posted 2004) [#7]
Is there any way for Max to check if they are installed and tell the user - in english - what the problem is?

I didn't have a problem since I already had the developer tools installed (...Max has made me put my Cocoa + Objective C project - a dynamic website management system - on hold, hahaha) however I didn't even realise they were needed and normally I'm pretty observant.

It's good to have a sticky post in the forums, but that won't help new-to-blitz potential customers who download the demo and trash it straight away because it doesn't work.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#8]
That's a good point, I think there should be a notice too. I only found out through curiosity reading the forums

Warren(Posted 2004) [#9]
I stumbled on that as well. If I hadn't seen the post about installing XCode, I would have been right pissed.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#10]
It is listed in the requirements on the BlitzMax product page. I don't think there's much we can do if people don't notice it before buying!

(Mark does plan to add a check though, I believe.)

eni(Posted 2004) [#11]
I know you said a check should be added, but let me clarify my concern was not with people who have purchased Max but rather those who download the demo. Often you'll get direct download links and miss the requirements entirely - and also you become complacent about checking requirements when you have a computer which is modern enough. Lose a customer at the demo - lose them AND others almost instantly and possibly permanently.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#12]
How deep is the requirement for XCode to be installed?

Could you convince Apple to let you bundle whatever thing it is that you need from XCode?