Problems compiling on OS X?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Problems compiling on OS X?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#1]
Remember that part of the requirements for BlitzMax are that you have Apple's free Xcode or Project Builder developer tools installed on your system. Here's a quick guide to obtaining them:

Xcode Tools

BlitzMax requires Apple's Xcode developer tools to be preinstalled on your Mac. If you don't already have the Xcode tools installed, you can install directly from the CDs/DVDs supplied with OS X, or download it from the Apple Developer Connection web site.

You can sign up to Apple Developer Connection for free by visiting the Apple Developer Connection Member Site. Once registered, you'll be able to download the relevant version of Xcode tools directly from your Apple Developer Connection account free of charge, under the 'Download Software' heading. If you're running OS X 10.3 or higher, just install the latest version.

OS X 10.2 users: although the latest version of Xcode requires OS X 10.3 or higher, you can install an older version of Xcode tools from your Apple Developer Connection account. The version called "December 2002 Mac OS X Developer Tools" is compatible with OS X 10.2.

This information is correct at the time of writing. Please contact Support if you find that this information is no longer correct.

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#2]
What is the difference between Xcode and Project Builder?
(I'm a Mac newbie)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#3]
I'm pretty much a Mac newbie too, but I believe Project Builder is just a close predecessor of Xcode tools.

Barnabius(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yup. Xcode is all one needs nowdays. Together with BlitzMax, of course :)

Project Builder can still be useful for older Mac systems, though...

Barney

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#5]
James, it would be good to note the case sensitive and littleendian:: bigendian:: issues in this topic as well.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yeah, I'll add that to the top post shortly. Also, editing the devtools' environment variables wrongly is bad!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#7]
On my system here, at the moment I mostly only use a small G3 ibook with limited space (usb harddrive for christmas tho!) so I've had to get clever with managing to squeeze everything onto it. Not only did I have to cut away chunks of osX that I figured I would not need (foreign languages and fonts, unused apps, etc) ... but also I didn't really have space to install Xcode (3gig hd!). Originally I managed to delete enough stuff to install Xcode but could only keep the full thing on there in archives.

So this time around, knowing I needed to squeeze in Xcode plus blitz plus all the pictures I've accumulated, I had to trim things back again.

I found that although XCode can take up over 1.5gigs of space, you really only need 2 or 3 packages. There is the developer tools package, most of which can later be deleted including the xtools app itself (i kept some of the utils). Secondly there is an osX dev kit that needs to be installed - I think that is the one that has the header files and other stuff that blitz probably needs. There is also a SDK package for BSD, I installed it also but I don't figure on it being needed. You don't have to install the several hundred megs of documentation or all the rest of it and anything that blitz isn't likely to use can get deleted, including most of the dev tools.

So anyway, I have blitz working (except my problem with fullscreen mode) and still have some room left to play with.

Installing the full xcode installation is one option, but I think mainly the osx SDK package is the main one you need, plus perhaps the dev tools? It'd be great to know exactly which packages hold the files needed by BlitzMax.

Just thought I'd share.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#8]
i'm running an older version of osx (10.2.8) without the new xcode development package...

all i had to do was to download the dec. developers kit... it seems to install all that is necessary to run BlitzMax on 10.2.8...

in all honesty though... most of the development stuff i looked at was geared to xcode and 10.3, for example... cross platform 3d libraries and game engine code... they all seem to use xcode project files which have to be rebuilt if you wanna use the older project builder stuff...

... but this shouldn't present a problem for those sticking with 'Max or who can easily code in c++ and are familiar with PB and XCode..

--Mike

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#9]
I just bought a Mac today ($250 for a G4 with 17" monitor - I couldn't say no <g>). Going to the Apple Developer site, I found that the latest Xcode is 2.1, which is for Mac OS 10.4, as is the earlier 2.0 (I have 10.3). It took a little search, but I was able to find Xcode 1.5 which is for 10.3.

February 19, 2006 update:
1.5 still looks to be available on the Developer Connection Member Site. After logging in, select "Developer Tools" in the "Downloads" frame at the right, then scroll about halfway down the page until you see "Xcode Tools v1.5" (372.4 MB).

degac(Posted 2006) [#10]
[hyper Mac Beginner...]

I've installed Mac Os X 1.3 + Xcode tools 1.5 and all seems to be ok: the examples in Xcode folder work and compile.

I've installed BlitzMax 1.16 but when I try to start the MaxIDE the icon starts to jump in the dock and then it disappears...and no MaxIde!
what I missed? I need to configure something path?
Under Win Bmax works perfectly...

Help please...

degac(Posted 2006) [#11]

degac(Posted 2006) [#12]
Danm!
Damn!
Damn!

I just downloaded the REALbasic demo, I installed it and it works perfectly!!!!! WHY!?!?!?!
And I have not the minimum request (only 196 mb , required 512!)

I can't start the MaxIDE, I tried the previous version 1.12...but nothing.
I can't find if there are some MIN HARDWARE REQUEST for Mac DEVELOPING.

Please give me an answer!

degac(Posted 2006) [#13]
RESOLVED!

This damned little-shiny-thing called iBook....

I update the OS via internet and now with MacOS 1.3.9 it works perferctly...

:D :D :D

byez

shadowwalker(Posted 2006) [#14]
I have a new Mac Intel Core Duo and when I try to compile anything in Blitz Max I get the following error: "Compile Error - No such 386 instruction 'mflr'". I have installed XCode and it works (I am fairly sure it is working). I was really hoping Blitz Max would work even if it uses Rosetta... Any ideas or suggestions?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#15]
The next BlitzMax update features full support for Mac Intel, we're just ironing out final glitches this week.

shadowwalker(Posted 2006) [#16]
Excellent! That is really good news. Thanks

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#17]
so what is the best mac os version to use and x code for that matter?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#18]
It depends on your use / target audience, I suppose.

Currently, Max doesn't create universal binaries if you are on Intel (that is a dual binary for PPC and Intel that can run on BOTH PPC and Intel macs).

If you compile with the Intel version you get an Intel binary. And vice versa for the PPC version.... in that you get a PPC binary.
You can run PPC binaries on both PPC and Intel Macs - because the Intel Mac can run PPC binaries under emulation (ie. it'll be slower).
You can only run Intel binaries on Intel Macs.

I only have a PPC mac, so I can't create Intel mac binaries. But if you own an Intel Mac, you can probably create both (by running each version of Max - I'm guessing?)

Hopefully, Mark et al can get to a point where Max would be able to compile Universal binaries on Intel. This is the ideal situation.

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#19]
I get tons of ranlib errors.

Xenepp(Posted 2006) [#20]
Ok, installing Xcode worked, needed to reinstall Max though as got loads of ranlib errors like DannyD.

Works great, thanks!

Punksmurf(Posted 2007) [#21]
*bump*

I don't know where to look except this topic, but I don't get BlitzMax to work on my Mac. When I try to recompile all my modules it breaks with 'error 76' and no description.\

The last items in the output window are:
Compiling:bmp_cod.c
In file included from /Users/student/Desktop/BlitzMax118_MacOS/BlitzMax/mod/axe.mod/jasper.mod/jasper/jas_types.h:102,
                 from /Users/student/Desktop/BlitzMax118_MacOS/BlitzMax/mod/axe.mod/jasper.mod/libjasper/bmp/bmp_cod.c:76:
/usr/include/sys/types.h:86: error: duplicate 'unsigned'
/usr/include/sys/types.h:86: error: two or more data types in declaration specifiers
Build Error: failed to compile /Users/student/Desktop/BlitzMax118_MacOS/BlitzMax/mod/axe.mod/jasper.mod/libjasper/bmp/bmp_cod.c

It's a 2ghz G5 iMac with 2gb of memory. MaxOs version is 10.4.8. I downloaded XTools and installed all I could find in that package.

Installed the BMax, updated to 1.24 and my modules are sync'ed.

I am absolutely new to Macs and stuff, so I ran fairly quick out of ideas... Anyone else, please?

Edit: I stumbled upon http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=67387, so that's fixed. And I was thinking I did something wrong!

Next question though... How on earth do I run BMK on a Mac? When I enter the console, cd to the blitzmax/bin folder and enter 'bmk' it gives an error: -bash: bmk: command not found

But the bmk file is there...

ima747(Posted 2007) [#22]
Punksmurf

terminals don't work quite like dos. You always have to provide the path to what you want to run unless it's in a system wide bin folder (like /bin or /usr/bin or another cust assigned directory). To run a command line program/script/whatever in the same directory you're in you put ./ ahead of it to reference your current location (i.e. "./bmk"). "../" references the directory above your current location (i.e. "cd ../" goes back one directory). It takes some getting used to but it is the same across all flavors of unix/linux (including osx) unless they have been modified to use current directory as a search path for binarys...

Alternatively in OS X if you drag a file into a terminal window it will put the full path to the file in for you. so yo run something, just launch terminal, drag and drop the file into the terminal window, and press return.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Punksmurf(Posted 2007) [#23]
Thanks lma747, this worked out fine! I didn't know I had to provide the path as well (obviously) but that won't be a problem anymore ;)

Got it all working fine now, great. It's nice that everything compiles without any modifying :D. The only problem left is entering accent characters without having to use the Special Characters panel (eg. typing 'e to get é). But well... that's not really Blitz-related ;)

ima747(Posted 2007) [#24]
you can type almost any character on a mac, including adding accents. Open up a text editor and hold down the modifier keys in various combinarions (shift, control and option) and start typing away. What characters you get are dependent on the font you are using as nothing above 256 is standard ascii and therefore can play by various rules depending on font and character set (latin-1, utf-8, etc).

Punksmurf(Posted 2007) [#25]
I will try that, thanks :) I have to say I love the windows way, just typing the accent and then the letter... I always forget most combinations with the modifier keys :P (which you can use as wel in Windows).

TikiDays(Posted 2007) [#26]
I had the same issues when I first tried BLITZMAX, may be the IDE should check if XCODE is installed and come up with a plain message? Would be more user friendly I reckon.

Warren(Posted 2007) [#27]
EDIT: never mind, I think I was downloading the PPC update when I'm running on an Intel Mac. Seems to compile now.

gameshastra(Posted 2007) [#28]
I have installed Blitzmax Demo on Mac , I get the errror can't find interface to module brl.map. I downloaded and installed Xcode but I still get the same error