Recursivity

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Recursivity

Casaber(Posted 2016) [#1]
I was thinking.. what about using Bmax for code that's extremely recursive? Can you pump up the stack for a minute or two
using some simple commands? I remember having a crash in Bmax when trying something out and since then I've been weary about using
recursive solutions, which is a shame.

Extreme stacks might not be best practice often but when they're needed they're extremely handy.

grable(Posted 2016) [#2]
Depends on which OS your on, they all have different defaults for stack size and ways to deal with it.

I only know that Windows has 1MB by default. Which means you can go 10000+ deep depending on argument/local count.

The only way to change the stack size in a running program on Windows is by creating new threads or fibers with an explicit stack size.
But since bmx threading api hasnt exposed that, you would have to modify it a bit.

Or, modify bmk and set the stack size in the link stage.

There is also a field for stack size in the executable header that can be modified after the fact, which is probably the cleanest approach.

Casaber(Posted 2016) [#3]
Grable, thanks. I guess the best way to be economical about the stack without hacking would be to use VAR keyword and keep
all the parameters inside that single address / pointer?

grable(Posted 2016) [#4]
Var arguments still have to copy the address to the stack, so use the same amount of memory.

I dont think arguments are the biggest worry here anyway. Your bound to have more locals than arguments in a sufficiently advanced function.
And even if you have NO arguments and locals, the stack would still grow by at least 8 bytes because of the return pointer and stack frame setup.

You can estimate the maximum recursion depth though:
Local stacksize:Int = 2097152' 2mb
Local numargs:Int = 2
Local numlocals:Int = 5
Local framesize:Int = 5	' RET,EBX,ESI,EDI,EBP
Local funcsize:Int = (numargs + numlocals + framesize) * 4
Print "maxdepth=" + (stacksize / funcsize)

May i ask what are you doing that requires such deep recursion?

Casaber(Posted 2016) [#5]
I won't bore you with the details but I've used Bmax for a month now and already I'm considering to use Bmax as my primary programming language and prototyping tool, as I love it.
But if I am to throw away all my other tools, which I hope to do, then I know I really need to be able to do recursive algorithms of some level with it. And I don't want any nasty surprises.

It's more the concept that needs to be available in some form. I need to be able to do stuff, it does not have to be quick or anything.

grable(Posted 2016) [#6]
Its not something ive ever worried about to be honest.
Just know that 2MB (the default on my setup) is a lot, and in the general case youl never overflow it.
And when in doubt, calculate an estimate.

After making a tool to change the stack size in the executable header, i found out that MinGW (at least 5.1.0 that i use) sets the reserved stack size to 2MB, commit is still 4K.
For comparison, BCC sets its stack to 4MB.

EDIT: After some more digging, it seems BMK sets the stack size to 4MB as well.

So you can go pretty deep :)

Im posting the tool here if you ever need more stack space, i made it in C though because it was easier.

pestacksize.c

Casaber(Posted 2016) [#7]
Nice, thanks alot.