Installing on Linux

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Installing on Linux

Rooster(Posted 2016) [#1]
Okay I am trying to install BlitzMax on a Unbutu computer, but I have no prior experience with Linux. I've seen tutorials but they just confuse me, so what is the best way to install BM? I am on 14.04 by the way.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#2]
64 or 32 bit? 32 should work but you may have issues with 64 (I haven't tried 64 ubuntu).

There's a script HERE which is supposed to simpify things. That code is based on a thread HERE with more tips you may need.

Rooster(Posted 2016) [#3]
Just finished running that, and it looks like it worked, but I don't know where to find it.
I looked in /usr/share/applications but I did not see it.
64 btw.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#4]
The editor, MaxIDE, will run from the dir you unzip it.
BlitzMax doesn't install anywhere. The script is for installing required development resources.

Rooster(Posted 2016) [#5]
Okay. I feel really dumb asking this, but how do you get it to run?

Derron(Posted 2016) [#6]
from within a console in the BlitzMax directory:
./MaxIDE

this will show errors which might be hidden when double clicking on the application from thunar/file-roller/nautilus...

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#7]
Assuming you've run the scripts for setting everything up correctly...

Double clicking on the icon (in your file manager) may work.

Otherwise, open up a Terminal, cd to the BlitzMax folder and then type :
./MaxIDE

(including the dot and the slash).

If you get a particular error, post here for further assistance.

You may also wish to find some time for learning how to use Linux. There are many resources on the internet.

You may also discover that perhaps your time may be better spent doing actual programming on your usual platform than trying to learn Linux *and* BlitzMax-on-Linux at the same time...

Rooster(Posted 2016) [#8]
Okay I'm getting a mesege that says
"./MazIDE: error while loading shared libraries: libx11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Derron(Posted 2016) [#9]
64bit ubuntu 14.04 ?

You might need to install the 32bit libs then

apt-get install ia32-libs

It might be needed to do this before you are able to install the libs
dpkg --add-architecture i386 
apt-get update
apt-get install libc6:i386 

bye
Ron

Rooster(Posted 2016) [#10]
Derron- It keeps saying it cannot open lock file, and then permission denied. After that it asks if I am root?

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#11]
As Derron knows, you need to add the word "sudo" before all those commands.

It will then ask you for your password before allowing you to run it.
So,
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

However, those scripts that munch referred you to should deal with the 32-bit issue - that's the whole point of them.

Rooster(Posted 2016) [#12]
Okay just ran the commands and tried to run it but it just dose the same thing, and the same error as before.
Edit. The ./MaxIDE command btw

Derron(Posted 2016) [#13]
What is output when you run the shell script linked in the post #2 of this thread?

- download that script
- open terminal and "cd" into your download folder
- type "sudo sh scriptname.sh"
- asks for your password
- should do some things now (installing or whatever is needed)

regarding my commands:
if you are sure that you installed ia32-libs: what is output on "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" ?

Alternative option: Open Paket manager (in Ubuntu: "Synaptic") and search for "ia32-libs" - you could check it there if not done.

bye
Ron

Rooster(Posted 2016) [#14]
Okay when I ran the sudo apt-get install ia32-libs command, it said that package ia32-libs not available.
I googled it and it looks like Unbutu 14.04 dose3 not support it.
It looks like there is a fix for it, but I still need to figure it out.

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#15]
Try using the scripts located here. Simons script hasn't been updated in a long time.
I'm surprised that Brucey or Derron didn't point you to it.

Rooster(Posted 2016) [#16]
Thank you dawlane, that got it running! :D

Derron(Posted 2016) [#17]
@dawlane
I already thought of linking to it ... but I hoped that you jump in to assist (if there is "another" problem then - because basic linux knowledge is missing and things could break easily with "sudo" :-)).

Also I thought, Rooster will look in the "Linux"-section for further help...

@Rooster
Good thing.

bye
Ron

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#18]
Think I may upload the scripts to github. The only reason as I see it, as has to why it not been made sticky, is that I edit it every so often when it needs up dating, thus breaking any pinning.

And I'm surprise that those who use Ubuntu or it's derivatives didn't pick up on the fact that the package ia32-libs hasn't been in the repositories since 11.10. You can get most with ia32-libs-multiarch, but not all. There are usually 32 bit equivalent to the 64 bit version of a package in the repository. Care must be taken with the developer packages, as the system links get replaced if you install another binary version. The easy work around is to add your own links in a known search path.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#19]
And I'm surprise that those who use Ubuntu or it's derivatives didn't pick up on the fact that the package ia32-libs hasn't been in the repositories since 11.10.

Actually, I don't use 32-bit libs on my 64-bit Linuxes for BlitzMax stuff. I generally have a 32-bit Linux for working with 32-bit because I've come across instances where you can't have a 32-bit dev package installed side-by-side with a 64-bit. (gtk webkit comes to mind)

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#20]
Actually, I don't use 32-bit libs on my 64-bit Linuxes for BlitzMax stuff. I generally have a 32-bit Linux for working with 32-bit because I've come across instances where you can't have a 32-bit dev package installed side-by-side with a 64-bit. (gtk webkit comes to mind).
I can think of a few my self. There's a couple of good ones in gtk theme packages.
In theory, you should be able to install a 32 bit system as a chroot and then add paths to the required libraries in your normal system search path. The big no-no is installing drivers to a chroot, especially video drivers.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#21]
Thanks for the script dawlane, I will use it when I get round to installing 64 bit.

I checked the pulseaudio pub.freeaudio patch out and it wasn't added to OS Bmx, and I couldn't find the patch anywhere else here except in your how-to OpenSUSE HERE. Bmx NG has this fix added.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#22]
dawlane:
In theory, you should be able to install a 32 bit system as a chroot and then add paths to the required libraries in your normal system search path. The big no-no is installing drivers to a chroot, especially video drivers.

This sounds as if you could tinker with a script allowing "install32bit.sh libname" and it asks for the sudo-password and then automates the chroot-process (dunno if you could pipe commands to this environment...).

bye
Ron

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#23]
@Derron: Somewhere buried around here is an old script that's probably broken beyond repair. That I used to get Blitzmax running on a 64 bit distribution before there were any 32 bit repositories made available to that system architecture. I haven't used a chroot environment in such away in an age.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#24]
I am talking about that gtk-libs (had trouble with this too - when I last tried).

Your script works fine for 64bit (to setup BMax).

bye
Ron