Work with programmers?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Work with programmers?

Caton(Posted 2016) [#1]
I want to hire blitzmax\C++ programmers how would I do that?

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#2]

If you need Blitzmax as well as C++, these forums would probably be your firsts starting point.

(Unfortunately Blitzmax isn't a very commonly used language, so outside of here you're not going to find very many people who are familiar with it.)

Midimaster(Posted 2016) [#3]
To find the right one it would be the best to descripe your project. Or to descripe the skills your programmer needs...

Game or App? 2D or 3D? Who designs the images? Animated images? Mass product or individual software? Dead line? And so on...

Derron(Posted 2016) [#4]
Who designs the images? Animated images?

He is looking for a programmer, not someone who creates a product.

bye
Ron

Chalky(Posted 2016) [#5]
@Derron - Midimaster knows that. He was suggesting the OP clarifies the skills required by the programmer (i.e. does the programmer need to be able to design the images, or will that be done by someone else?).

Derron(Posted 2016) [#6]
Why should an programmer need to draw images or compose music.. does he need to be a story writer too?

OP asked for a programmer... so the question was most likely if there was a special board section for jobs or so.

Of course Midimaster's questions about app type (game, business, module conversion...) are valid(from a programmers POV and this limited question phrase).

Bye
Ron

Casaber(Posted 2016) [#7]
I agree totally with MIDImaster, a detaled description would always be the best bet.
This forum is probably full of competent programmers you only need to describe exactly what you want.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#8]
That's quite a mixed bag, Caton. Please specify what you need.

1. Artist (Raytrace, Pixeled, Raster ?)
2. Musician (what is the music used for, background for games, events)
3. Programmer (language ? BlitzMAX, C++) why both, why not just one language ?
4. Designer (puts it all together and writes 1, 2, and 3 what their jobs are for a product)
5. Publisher (handles the part of getting it published to the Internet so it is a commercial product)

Which of these are you looking for ?

Caton(Posted 2016) [#9]
C++ programmers for my 2d game.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#10]
You are probably less likely to find C++ game programmers on a Blitz forum than you are elsewhere :-)

Matty(Posted 2016) [#11]

If I was going to hire a programmer this is what I would do.

Work out what I needed built, what features, essential and non essential features. I would work out my budget - what I am willing to spend on getting the project complete. I would find a location or group of people who are likely to know the platform and language I wish to build for/in. I would ask them if they could estimate how much time it would take to build such a project and get a few approximate ideas - is it a project that would take less than a day (8 hours) work, multiple days or longer than a week. I would then estimate based on my budget and a few basic ideas about hourly rates whether I could afford to hire someone with preferences being for someone in the same city as myself so that we could discuss issues with the project easily.

If I could not find someone within my circle of friends, family, acquaintances who is willing to perform this work then and only then would I go online and check out the various freelance sites. I would then post a specification of what was required and an estimated time frame and accept responses. Should I find someone with good reviews, and a good track record I would then engage them with the possibility of being hired.

Once the supplier/coder is engaged it is useful depending on the size of the project to have a series of staged deliverables that can be checked off one at a time as the project is completed. In some cases payment would be made at each stage, but there are innumerable ways of arranging payment methods.

That should provide some info.

Edit - as a rough guide to price however here is a sample of what you may possibly expect to see.

I wrote a game in 2015. It was 3d not 2d and fairly complex. It was fully specified which took about 3 weeks to put the specification together. Actual programming time took approximately 500 hours over a 6 month period. There were a number of additional hours - about 50 - spent after release addressing issues, bugs and enhancements. So total hours spent was 550 hours let us say. Because I did it myself I didn't charge anyone for their time. But if I had been engaged to do it for a third party or a client I would have likely charged approximately $100AUD per hour to work on the code (in a variety of languages). Rates would vary based on country, skill level and market value. At that rate the cost to develop my game for the programming side alone would have cost approximately $55,000. That gives a rough idea. A simple 2D game would likely have cost less as the hours would most likely have been far reduced.

EDIT 2 - you may be considering going the Indian/Eastern European route to get a cheaper hourly rate for a developer - often this is a false economy as the language barrier, skill level and simply distances/multiple time zones involved can stretch out the length of time required to develop even a simple game massively.

Yasha(Posted 2016) [#12]
often this is a false economy as the language barrier, skill level

For C++ in particular I would be very wary of a "cheap" developer. It's a hard language that's really easy to screw up.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#13]
Agree with Brucey. We are (at least I am) a BlitzMAX programmer, Not C++

Google is your friend.

http://www.toptal.com/game