1200X1024,32 graphics setting?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/1200X1024,32 graphics setting?

gerald(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi,

I tried to change my graphics statement from 1024,768,32 to 1200,1024,32 and it won't run. When I changed it to 1200,1024 (with no color depth setting) it ran. Why?

Do larger screen settings (1200X1024) need more color depth or just can't be set to the older 32 setting? I am running the older windows XP os.

What is the current internet setting (for Bmax), if indeed there is one?

Is there general info for Bmax size and color settings for todays internet?

Gerald

skidracer(Posted 2015) [#2]
When you leave out the color depth argument BlitzMax will open a window on the desktop to display your game.

When you specify a color depth BlitzMax attempts to set your display to that resolution and display your game full screen.

This program will tell you which resolutions you can set your computer's display to with the graphics command when using the depth option:

Print "Available graphics modes:"

For mode:TGraphicsMode=EachIn GraphicsModes()

Print mode.width+","+mode.height+","+mode.depth+","+mode.hertz

Next

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#3]
Windows can be just about any size/shape. But full screen has to be something your monitor supports.

1200 x 1024 is probably not a real screen resolution. I'm guessing you meant 1280 x 1024. I still have an old monitor ( unused ) which is the now very unpopular 5:4 aspect ratio.

As far as I can determine 16:9 has conquered the world. For anything but movies and television I consider that too wide.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#4]
As Floyd already mentioned, you probably want 1280x1024 -- 1200 wide is not a standards resolution. You can actually obtain a list of all the resolutions supported by your videocard + monitor, using the following blitzmax commands:

CountGraphicsModes()
GetGraphicsMode()

or if you are looking whether or not a specific mode s supported, you can ask GraphicsModeExists()

As far as I can determine 16:9 has conquered the world. For anything but movies and television I consider that too wide.

It's simple economy of scale: the manufacturing lines are made for a crapton of TV's, and it's cheaper to crank out some extra panels to use for monitors than it is to create an entirely different panel production line for different specs.

But especially in the smaller 19" range monitors "widescreen" pretty much just translates to "reduced height".

If you think that 16:9 monitors are stupid: many of the manufacturers now also sell 21:9 "ultrawide" monitors:

Personally I like 1920x1200 (16:10), but they don't seem to make those any larger than 24"

gerald(Posted 2015) [#5]
Hi,

Thanks. I probably did not read the 1280 correctly when I saw it. I'll try it out.

Gerald