Map issue (coming from MonkeyX)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Map issue (coming from MonkeyX)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi All

After using MonkeyX for 4 years I have come back to Bmax and converting some useful stuff I developed in Monday but I've hit a snag with Maps.

I want to create a Map with an Int Array Value

Field data:TMap = CreateMap()
data.Insert("dave",[12,45,23])

So that all works but I have issues when getting the data back, id do it as follows in MonkeyX

Print data.ValueForKey("dave")[0]
Print data.ValueForKey("dave")[1]
Print data.ValueForKey("dave")[2]

I've tried all sorts converting to string etc but cant seem to get it.

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#2]
BlitzMax doesn't support generics or whatever other modern typesystem feature Monkey has that is enabling the above to work. Collections (unless you make an element-specific version) store Objects only, and the results of a query therefore have to be manually downcast before non-Object operations will apply to them.

e.g. works:
Print Int[](data.ValueForKey("dave"))[0]
Print Int[](data.ValueForKey("dave"))[1]
Print Int[](data.ValueForKey("dave"))[2]

(array types are the only parameterised type in Max, and they don't really count)

Converting to string might be mentioned in a few places because (according to BRL-led convention) it's how one stores numeric primitives in a collection or passes them to a "generic" function in an Object array (i.e. substitute for autoboxing), c.f. BRL.Reflection. It wouldn't apply to this example since the element actually being stored in the map is already an Object.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2015) [#3]
Ah perfect thanks, I'll remember that for other things too.