Unsure what this syntax is doing

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Unsure what this syntax is doing

ReconditePhreak(Posted 2015) [#1]
In my quest to find a way to create a "stringstream" I popped open stream.bmx and came across the following function.

Function OpenStream:TStream(url:Object, readable = True, writeable = True)
Local stream:TStream=TStream( url )
If stream
Return TStreamStream.Create( stream )
EndIf

Local str$=String( url ),proto$,path$
If str
Local i=str.Find( "::",0 )
If i=-1 Return TCStream.OpenFile( str,readable,writeable )
proto$=str[..i].ToLower()
path$=str[i+2..]
EndIf

Local factory:TStreamFactory=stream_factories

While factory
Local stream:TStream=factory.CreateStream( url,proto,path,readable,writeable )
If stream Return stream
factory=factory._succ
Wend
End Function

The line where the tstream is being declared

In any other language I would say this is a constructor, but I was under the impression BlitzMax didn't have constructors. What is this doing?

Also, is there a clean way of creating a string stream? I'm reading all over the documentation and for some reason I'm not putting it together. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/BlitzMax/Modules/Streams/Text_streams seems to imply it can be done, but I need a stream first and I don't know how to create one out of thin air.

What I'm wanting to do is the following:
- create a MemoryStream
- copy a string to that MemoryStream so I can peak/poke at the individual characters (ascii charset only)
- copy byte ranges out to another MemoryStream
- When all is said and done, load the resulting MemoryStream into a String

I'm about to just create multiple byte arrays and then just downsize at the end as needed, but that seems inefficient.

Any ideas?

ReconditePhreak(Posted 2015) [#2]
I just found http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/BlitzMax/Modules/Brl#Streams

I'm unsure how I managed to miss it.

I cracked open the source for it and it apparently uses the byte ptr directly, so it expects you to allocate it beforehand.

I'm guessing this means I have to allocate a byte array and then call CreateRamStream, which implies to me that the only real benefit from doing so is just getting the convenience methods of a stream. I was kind of hoping for a dynamically re-allocated stream ala C++ type containers, but I suppose what's there is good enough.

Is there anything I'm missing or is this most likely the best way to accomplish this?

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#3]
About the syntax...

Function OpenStream:TStream(url:Object, readable = True, writeable = True)

From the first line you can see that OpenStream is a function which returns a TStream. So TStream must be a user defined type. A look at the code shows it is in the stream module. You can also see that url is an Object. See http://www.blitzbasic.com/bmdocs/command.php?name=object&ref=goto for a brief description of Object.

In the second line stream is a variable of type TStream and TStream( url ) is a typecast from Object to TStream.

Notice that user defined types have names beginning with T. That's just a convention, not enforced in any way.

ReconditePhreak(Posted 2015) [#4]
ah, typecast, got it.

grable(Posted 2015) [#5]
If your just gonna read a single string, TRamStream and the pointer returned from String.ToCString() or String.ToWString() should work.
If you need a dynamic one heres one i whipped up in a few minutes, so you should probably debug it somewhat ;)

ReconditePhreak(Posted 2015) [#6]
Thanks for the example code. I ended up just using Byte arrays and pointers directly, but this gives me something more to look into.