Is it OK to release Debug builds to the public?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Is it OK to release Debug builds to the public?

codermax(Posted 2014) [#1]
I have a problem. I was making a BMX game and I've implemented Game Jolt support for it. However, Polan's GJ module for BlitzMax only allows unthreaded apps built in debug mode! So far, I haven't found a way around this.

So what I wanted to know was, is it ok to release debug apps to the public? Are there any real differences between release and debug modes? Can debug apps be horribly exploited somehow?

Henri(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hello,

I would not be too concerned about exploitation, but debug version is a bit slower than release version (how much I dont know).

Usually when something is not working in release mode is a sign that there is some kind of error in the source somewhere.
For instance, variables are held longer in memory when in debug-mode, but are collected in release mode because they are out of scope. I'm not familiar with GJ module.

-Henri

GfK(Posted 2014) [#3]
Don't release in debug mode. Your code executes slower, the binary is double the size it would be in release mode. I don't know if there are other disadvantages, but there you have two pretty major ones.

If you're using middleware that only works in debug mode, then personally I wouldn't have gone near it from the start. Your only option really is to ask the author to fix it.

PhotonTom(Posted 2014) [#4]
This page doesn't mension anything about having to be debug and also says it works in unthreaded and threaded:
http://gamejolt.com/community/forums/topics/blitzmax-api/1257/

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#5]
says it works in unthreaded

Not according to the code... it uses a thread to fetch the data.

...which I expect you'd notice if you try to build/use the module with threads disabled?

PhotonTom(Posted 2014) [#6]
Sorry I was referring to the updated module that 'Phantasar Productions' posts on that thread. Which does work in unthreaded and threaded. The orginal however does only work in threaded mode :)

H&K(Posted 2014) [#7]
If this makes me sound like a noob, then so be it.

What do you actually NEED to do to make your code run a threaded module? Isn't it just a case of pasting a bit of code in-front of you Vsync?

I'm not suggesting that Multi-thread programming is really easy, (cos I don't know), what Im asking is if you add a self contained modulo that is multithreaded, doesn't it hide this from you, and require some trivial calling doctrine?