Help Online completed

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Help Online completed

degac(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi, this is a question to BRL/Mark/Simon.

The online documentation (see Manuals) seems to be not completed.
Try to search for AllocUserEventId... it returns 'Sorry, no such command exists', when of course the command itself exists.

It's possible to update the online database?
So we can complete the commands with the proper working examples.

In the specific case of AllocUserEventID the documentation is a little bit obscure... I had to experiment myself to understand what this command does.

Thanks

markcw(Posted 2014) [#2]
Maybe try emailing Brl about this. I don't think they respond to forum requests.

UNZ(Posted 2014) [#3]
That is quite a good question.
Why isn't there a wiki for blitzmax?

There are lots of info in this forums but I think they would be more up to date and concentrated and easier to find in a wiki. If BRL would install one on the blitzbasic.com server I'm quite sure that there would accumulate quite a lot good documentation.

markcw(Posted 2014) [#4]
There is a wiki here http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/BlitzMax
It's not got an FAQ section though, it's just a copy of the help docs but the community could add one.

I wrote some code (a few years back) to convert bbdoc to wiki and contributed the results to there but then I lost my code so I stopped adding stuff as I didn't feel like rewriting the code.

Another thing someone could do is start an FAQ thread in beginners forum and then maintain it with help from the community.

degac(Posted 2014) [#5]
Yes I know about the wiki-solutions.
But I would prefer an on site documentation like the actual: users can post comments and examples, it's in the site/forum and for the final user I think is a better solution (no need to look anywhere else, one login, easy to use).
Wiki solutions have the advantage of localization, but they are often abandoned by users, and not officially supported.

I suspect this (the documentation) is an OLD question and BRL is not very interested in it (same behaviour for Monkey-X it seems...)

In any case thanks for the answers.

@UNZ: good idea about installing on blitzbasic a wiki-server... it would be a perfect solution. I dont' think it will cost too much for space (just discard the online manual...) and trafic. And the idea could be replicated for Monkey-X too...

Ok, I will try to email BRL about this...

UNZ(Posted 2014) [#6]
I will try to email BRL about this

have you got any answer?

degac(Posted 2014) [#7]
Yes I did.
They confirmed that on line manual is not updated and asked what other commands are missing.
And I think someone else (munch?) reported to BRL the list of missing commands.
But I really don't know if there is an ETA for an updated online manual.
At least there is an interest in this... Maybe they need just a little more time.
Cheers

degac(Posted 2014) [#8]
Ok, I managed to find what commands are missing in the on-line documentation. Mainly the new additions are about thread supports and latest updates.

nb: assuming MaxGUI now is considered as 'default'

I removed ALL the OpenAL functions (see below) and types (Tthread etc)