Mod install for TimelineFX question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Mod install for TimelineFX question

Galdy(Posted 2014) [#1]
TimelineFX effects requires some mods for BMax. They are all in one Bah.mod folder. If I understand right, I put the Bah.mod in my C:\BlitzMax\mod folder. I don't need to separate out any of the mods out of this Bah.mod folder do I? I use Blide so I can just select "build all modules" once the modules are in place. I already have mingw. Anyway, just don't want to screw things up if i don't have to. lol.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
Why not just paste the folders containing bah.XYZ (replace XYZ with the ones timelinefx requires)?

If module1 requires a mingw witj SJLJ-exception handling and the other modules are compiled with a DWARF mingw - you will have to recompile/rebuild all modules using the SJLJ-variant of MinGW. Vice Versa the same.

Do not let confuse you by this "SJLJ/DWARF"-thingy. If timelineFX is a commercial software the author surely has a manual with install instructions (in Germany you can give back products if they miss a "understandable or incomplete" manual ... dunno how it is in other countries). Cannot imagine that they do something "maybe incompatible" with BlitzMax.

But for your question about "can I do it that way?" : yes. If you miss modules the module compilation will work (each module is separated) but the compilation of your code then will fail because a module is missing - then copy/paste this module to your mod folder, do a rebuild (not all, just "new") and try again.

bye
Ron

Galdy(Posted 2014) [#3]
There are no folders containing Bah.xyz. The download from the timlineFX website unzips to one folder called Bah.mod. Inside it has other mods. The sum total of the instructions are on their website as such:

In order to use TimelineFX you will also need to have the following modules installed:

LibXML mod: An excellent XML Library binded by Brucey
ZipModule by GMan
ZipStream Module by Koriolis for including incbinned effects files

These downloads are uncompiled so you will need to run bmk makemods on your platform (Windows, Mac or Linux) before you can use them.

Henri(Posted 2014) [#4]
Hello Galdy,

inside mod-folder you will find folders named after their author like:

---Default modules---

- brl.mod (BlitzResearch , system modules; Do not modify)
- pub.mod (Public , system modules; Do not modify)
- maxgui.mod (MaxGUI, system module; Do not modify)

---3rd party modules---

-bah.mod (Bruceys modules)
-gman.mod (GMans modules)
-koriolis.mod (Koriolis modules)

Inside those author folders you will find the spesific module needed to import by source code like:
Import gman.zipengine
...where 'gman' is the gman.mod-folder and 'zipengine' is the zipengine.mod-folder inside gman.mod-folder.

If Import<module name> does not find the module-folder or compiled files inside that folder, Blitzmax IDE hits you with the 'Interface not found-error'

-Henri

Galdy(Posted 2014) [#5]
I tried just importing the gman.zipengine

In Blide I get Compile Error: Can't find interface for module 'gman.zipengine'

Henri(Posted 2014) [#6]
Folder structure should be:

Blitzmax\mod\bah.mod\libxml.mod
Blitzmax\mod\gman.mod\zipengine.mod
Blitzmax\mod\koriolis.mod\zipstream.mod
Blitzmax\mod\koriolis.mod\bufferedstream.mod

When everything is where they should be, rebuild all modules

-Henri

Galdy(Posted 2014) [#7]
Ah gee wiz. I hadn't rebuilt the modules like you said. "blush" Thanks for the help Henri. Much appreciated. I beleive understand the process now.

Galdy(Posted 2014) [#8]
One other thing. Does anyone know where to get the TimelineFX module for Bmax? It doesn't seem to be available via their website. I left a message in their forum.

Henri(Posted 2014) [#9]
It is just above where you downloaded your other modules, under Blitzmax. Download zip-file.

-Henri

Galdy(Posted 2014) [#10]
Oops. I thought that was the editor download. Thanks.